Avios Redemption Calculator

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by merice107, Jan 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tried to use the BA website avios calculator to see how many avios is would cost to fly from Hong Kong to Male. It said it came up with an error. I then logged in to my account and searched like I was making a reservation. I also received an error message. Is there a way to see how many avios I would need for a one way ticket?

I am new to avios and have not ever used them, or even really looked in to using them.

2. progapanda

progapanda Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would be 20,000 Avios one-way, but you're going to have to wait for Malaysian to officially join the oneworld alliance in February before you will be able to use Avios to go from Hong Kong to Male (HKG-KUL-MLE).

merice107, viguera and skyvan like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think you can fly that route with BA or any partner...

But if you could, and do so direct, since it's around 2,900 miles it would fall under Zone 4, or 12,500 avios each way in economy.

4. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    It only works for direct non-stop flights sine most Avios (everything but multi partner awards) are done on a per segment basis. I can't seem to find any nonstop flights on any One World members HKG-MLE.

Malaysia Airlines is joining OneWorld in under a week and they do fly to MLE from KUL. So that's one option. You'll need 10000/20000/30000 (coach/business/first) Avios for HKG-KUL on MH or CX and then 10000/20000/30000 for KUL-MLE. These are one way so you're looking at 40k Avios round trip in coach, and 80k Avios in business.

MH has pretty good availability HKG-KUL (I just booked a one-way on that route recently), KUL-MLE is also showing pretty good availability, with 9+ coach seats available and 3+ business seats available on each flight for some sample dates in September.

Also it is my guess that BA won't have MH availability online on 2/1/2013 so you'll have to call to book these.

Hope this helps you in your voyage to the Maldives.

merice107, Jimgotkp and viguera like this.
  5. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Meaning you gotta do the one-stop way and pay on a per segment basis. MH is the best choice once they join OW. 20k each way in coach. (10k per 1250-2000 mile segment)

merice107 and viguera like this.
  6. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    In theory, you could do HKG-LHR on BA or CX, and then LGW-MLE on BA.

I suspect, though, that that isn't quite what the OP had in mind.

merice107 likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    An option for figuring out connection itinerary pricing is this tool I built: http://www.wandr.me/Avios-Calculator.aspx.

It is based on harvesting the prices for all the non-stop routes I could find for BA partners (oneworld or otherwise) and then adding the numbers together where appropriate on connections. Some are ridiculous but where more rational pricing exists it should show the correct price. The rates for Malaysian are not in there yet because they aren't published by BA yet. Once they are I'll add them to the data set.

daninstl, merice107 and skyvan like this.
  8. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    A route that would've made sense in the old days pre-Avios. :)

merice107 likes this.
  9. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great info everyone. This is for the summer I 2014 so I should probably be able to do Malaysia Airlines. Maybe do Cathay to Kuala an then Malaysia to Male. Then experience two different business class products for 40k avios (even though they will be the regional products).

10. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    This one of the best tools out there for avios redemption research. Love it. :)

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

I've also added ~150 new routes to it this morning thanks to MH now being a member of oneworld.

iolaire and SM105 like this.
  12. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How does one determine the breakdown of taxes/fees/surcharges on Avios redemption?

I've been eye-ing on HKG-KTM redemption on KA. It costs 10k in Y or 20k in J, with a whopping $100+ in taxes/fees. I was reading somewhere that redeeming Avios on intra-asia routes is supposed to be one of the best ways to maximize Avios. Not with $250+ in taxes/fees round trip, IMO.

13. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plug the route into ITA and get a fare break down for your desired flights. It will show each component of fare price including all types of taxes. Subtract the base fare and this will give you a good idea of what avios cost (for non BA metal) will be.

Intra Asia and intra SA can be expensive in gov taxes. For example Argentina charges more than 10% tariff of the base far amount for all intra Argentina flights. So if your paid ticket was $480 you are paying at least $50 in taxes a ticket even when doing awards.

14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    QF 38 is a non-stop WLG-MEL and WLG doesn't come up on your search at all. (example date: 7/15)

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
  16. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points: