Avios on EI To Dublin. Something Learned Today...

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by rodeojones, Jun 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been planning a trip from BOS to SNN/DUB using Avios to fly EI in April of 2014. Expertflyer has shown tremendous availability across the board for the DUB route and flights start for SNN March 31 also with fantastic availability.

My plan has been to fly BOS-DUB then return via SNN-BOS. Avios can be booked one way and was planning on flying my self and a friend round trip in business class for 50k each. Based on the information on the interwebs, EI can only be booked over the phone and I confirmed the fact after trying to book it online, no go.

Last night I had everything mapped out, 04/07 SEA-BOS on AA then onto BOS-DUB on EI. Returning 04/14 SNN-BOS on EI and BOS-SEA on AA. Expertflyer showed 9 seats in Business class for both flights on EI so I called BA to learn they were closed. Ugh...I wasn't too worried with so many seats left so I called first thing this morning.

Prior to calling I reconfirmed on Experflyer that my desired routes were available. I was stunned when the SNN-BOS route showed 0 U seats. What!?!? Last night it showed 9!! Luckily the DUB-BOS route still showed availability so I called BA with the backup plan to fly in and out of DUB but have heard sometimes EI award space doesn't always show up. My fingers were crossed that SNN-BOS would be available.

First off, the rude BA CSR's that we all have heard about or spoken too....I have never met one. This was my third time booking a phone ticket with BA and each time they have been very nice and pleasant. So I called and spoke to Mary Ann and confirmed BOS-DUB had two seats in U (EF said 9) yet SNN-DUB had nothing in U. Luckily DUB-BOS was still available so I booked r/t BOS-DUB. I had a very pleasant conversation with Mary Ann who giggled when I told her it was sunny in Seattle. Who knew!?!? She stated she had served in the Coast Guard in Kodiak Alaska and had been to Seattle several times and enjoyed the city. Very friendly!!!

But I digress...once I hung up the phone I hopped on Expertflyer and the two flights I just booked that showed 9 seats in U now showed 0. This may be common knowledge for the Expertflyer pro's but not for me. My past experience is the availability shown has been pretty spot on but in this case with EI, 9 seats means maximum two seats.

This will be my first international trip. I have about two hours between US and Europe flights both ways. Will this give me enough time to clear customs? Is Global Entry worth the cost for someone like me who travels internationally once or twice a year?