Avios of much use out of Phoenix?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by FlyingBear, Dec 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was considering current BA credit card offer, but after looking at my options redeeming out of Phoenix, it appears that UK is the only option and fuel surcharges, of course, kill the whole idea of it. Am I missing something, are there better ways to redeem? Thanks!

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless I'm mistaken, you can use Avios to fly AA as a BA partner, along with others.

If that's the case, there are plenty of destinations well within the 4500 Avios / 650 mile "sweet spot" (LAS, LAX, SAN) and beyond. Or you can use them for positioning flights out of other cities?

FlyingBear likes this.
  3. Franklybrit

Franklybrit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you can fly on AA using Avios, and as viguera says, the best deals are those under 650 miles distance, which are only 4,500 each way with no fuel surchage. Unfortunately these best deals are limited to single segment flights, so from PHX you can only get to LAX. But spend more, and the entire AA route network, all oneworld connections, Alaksa, and Aer Lingus are at your fingertips.

FlyingBear likes this.
  4. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apparently I suck at searching and BA's site sucks at searching partner flights for destinations I chose (Sydney and Sao Paulo). So I'd have to call whenever I do get the miles. Inconvenient, but I can live with that.

5. pilotb757

pilotb757 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Avios are distance based and real good for short distance flights, on AA or other partners, also you can use Aer Lingus to Europe out of Boston ,JFK and ORD etc. I agree with you on the BA sight is not user friendly and has many glitches. Sometimes i see availability on AA using the AA site and it does not show on the BA site.