Avios Needed to Change Class of Service on Pre 11-16 Partner Award?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by NE Flyer, Feb 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. NE Flyer

NE Flyer Active Member

Status Points:
    HI everyone,

I was hoping you all could help me determine how many miles I would need to change (from C to F) my pre 11-16 avios award booking on CX. My wife and I are currently scheduled to go from North America to Bali (with a stop in hong kong each way). Unfortunately, we only had enough miles to book F one way and are booked in C on the other way.

Now that we have more miles, we are hoping to upgrade the other leg to F, and were wondering if anyone on this board has experience with how many Avios it would take to make this change? Ideally we would be able to make the upgrade with 25k miles, i.e., the old reward chart.

I would be grateful for any opinions or guidance anyone can offer!

2. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    No expert, but I have read elsewhere that unfortunately you are stuck with the new chart in these circumstances. It's sort of the same thing when taxes change after you book and you want to change; you need to suck it up to pay the difference.

You can always call and ask...it never hurts.

Having done both CX J and F, I suspect you will live :D and as a slight aside, I hope that you're doing J on the way over...so you get the magnificence of F on the way back, instead of having to suck it up to go "back" to J having done F on the way over.

Either way...you'll have a fabulous trip -- Bali is wonderful -- so is Cathay -- enjoy it!!

3. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    A case of you can't have your cake and eat it too.

4. NE Flyer

NE Flyer Active Member

Status Points:
    I guess that's what I will do. It can't hurt to ask; I was worried about calling because I currently have only a measly 1,000 or so Avios in my account, but I suppose that BA agents are familiar with Amex MR points and won't be surprised if I tell them I will transfer over the necessary points.

That does raise two related questions:

(1) Can a BA agent hold the F space while I transfer MR points?

(2) how would the calculation of miles work. I believe under the new system, it's 105,000 miles one way for F from SFO to HKG. I of course spent 50,000 miles to go from SFO to HKG and on to DPS. CX does not offer F class from HKG to DPS. So would I now need 55,000 miles (i.e. 105,000 under the new chart less the 50,000 I already spent to upgrade to F?) Or would BA charge me extra miles for the HKG to DPS leg? If my wife and I can swing the MR points, we would consider spending 55,000 miles each for the upgrade, even though it's not a super high value proposion because this is a special trip and we don't find MR points particularly valuable. But I don't think I can justify paying even more miles to deal with the disruption to the HKG DPS leg.

I would be so grateful for any insight you all have on what the final cost for the change might be. Also, do you think I would get quoted different mileage amounts by different agents or will BA have a standardized policy on this?

Thanks for the kind words; even though this is CX old J, you are surely right we will survive the experience even if we don't change our current plans. And we ordered the J and F portions of the trip exactly as you suggested for precisely those reasons; we want the end of our vacation to be fun and not feel like we are going back to J on the way home to what will likely be piles of work.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  5. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    funny, no 25K to upgrade but involuntary downgrade only gets you 25K returned.