Avios for long-distance

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by olmangsr, Nov 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wanted to redeem some avios on QF JFK-SYD.first i checked with the BA calculator and it said 75k avios.after a long search for 2 biz ticket(ps thx qantas for not releasing sh!....:) it comes up to 100k per person...

Is the calculator messed up or just ba.com?
    If it ba.com is the correct,besides on forgetting about QF redemption something else came to my mind:how is it possible that JFK-HKG(zone 9 since its 8060 miles) is "only" 70k ?

Avios-Award-Chart.png

2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    100,000 per person would be consistent with what's in that table. JFK-SYD is substantially further than JFK-HKG and would fall into zone 9.

I'm not sure how official that table is, anyway.

3. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    right but the thing is that they are in the same zone regardless of the distance difference..

4. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You got QF redemption on BA? On JFK-SYD? Wow, that's a pretty difficult ff ticket to obtain!

5. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not that hard.checked availability on AA and it showed up perfectly on BA.ill give them a call tomorrow and will ask them why the award calculator shows 75k...

6. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I said, I'm not sure how official that table is.

Or to be more precise, in November 2011 BA expressly disclaimed the use of hard distance-based zoning that could be reduced into a table like that. Distance is only a guide. Even on BA-operated flights, there are exceptions/anomalies about miles/Avios cost.

Clearly, from what you have seen, JFK-HKG is zone 8 and JFK-SYD is zone 9, regardless of the distance flown for each.
    The answer will almost certainly be that it's because the ba.com calculator is wrong. If you get a hard quote for a specific flight, that will almost certainly be correct - and the hard quote should always override what any calculator-type guide says anyway.

7. ukgooner
    Original Member

ukgooner Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would tally with London - Sydney which is also 100k in J one-way.