Avios Connection Calculator

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Wandering Aramean, Feb 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I finally got fed up enough with the lack of a reasonable comparison tool for connecting itineraries via Avios redemptions that I built one myself: http://wandr.me/AviosCalc.

I'm basing the calculations on routes flown by a number of partners (and I'm adding more) and the rates on those routes as pulled from the BA site, combined with some processing on the back-end to find connection points that should work. I know that I don't have all the partners yet, but I'm working on that. In the meantime, however, there are some good examples of the variable rates for routes like this one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

2. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for putting this together. It is fast and efficient.

IDGflygirl and Wandering Aramean like this.
  3. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    wow. another impressive addition to your site. this is an awesome tool. I think ppl have been disillusioned to Avios since the change from BA Miles and because of the out right lashing they took from many bloggers.

They can still have great value for long-haul travel, not JFK-Lima-Santiago-Easter Island for only 80,000 miles roundtrip in business class great (which in retrospect looks like a myth), if you also use CASH + POINTS payment options you can leverage the Avios program

I will say that you provide more quality information and tools than all the other miles&points bloggers out there. I don't know where you find the time to keeping adding to your toolkit but thanks for doing it.

4. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good work. But it is probably a bit buggy right now I think. It will spilling out some connections and prices I can't make sense of. One example is given on your blog. ORD-DUB for 12000 via EWR. 12000 is probably 4500+7500. No way one can cross the pond with 7500 Avios.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I found that bug thanks to the comment on the blog. I had a bad entry for EWR-DUB in there. I don't actually know how that got in there, but it did. I killed it and things are cleared up there.

I did run a number of tests on a whole bunch of routes to make sure it was mostly correct before posting it. :)

kyunbit and TheTravelAbstract like this.
  6. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    agree with avios being fine for me now. actually better than before. BNA-DFW-LAS for a possible 12k or to ORD from any of my 3 airports for 4.5k!

tool works great, altho i would never fly DFW-LHR-LAS :)

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  7. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    You manually checked it! That a lot of work. Hats off!

8. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is awesome, will come in handy for the 200,000+ avios my wife and I have. Can't wait to get rid of them! Thank you!

9. Pirate

Pirate Active Member

Status Points:

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Quick update on things...I made a bunch of changes yesterday, including clearing up a few calculation errors on routes where both BA and partners operate. I've got about 1600 routes in total in the system now so hopefully any city pair you're working with works. I've also added a map at the bottom to show the various routes because I can. :)

jetsetr likes this.
  11. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    (emphasis added above)
    To paraphrase Cassius Clay, "You're a bad man...." Thanks for another great travel tool!

IDGflygirl and Wandering Aramean like this.
  12. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I. LOVE. YOU.

This tool is exactly what I've been looking for as my hubby and I try to blow every last Avios we have (using our Chase companion certs, of course).

Thanks for the effort. This is great!

13. dracs

dracs Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you Wandering Aramean. You always come up with good tools.

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ummm....

Don't tell my wife. :p :D

15. travelfree
    Original Member

travelfree Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am in the process of determining whether or not to take advantage of the 50% transfer bonus for BA and your calculator was very helpful in my analysis of routes out of LAX.

Do you know the best method to calculate the taxes, fees and fuel surcharges for each itinerary?

Thank you for all of your work it is greatly appreciated.

16. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, this is completely awesome. I've been rebuilding my Avios (very slowly) after my mondo redemptions.

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My best guess on tax/YQ calculations would be to price the trip on ITA and then drop the base fare out. I have no idea how close that approximates the BA charges but I'd bet it will get you within 10% wtoo much trouble.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  18. TopGunner

TopGunner Silver Member

Status Points:
    An amazing effort, along with the other tools, it makes one ask the question why can't the FFP out there do these sorts of applications for their members? Could it be their intent is not to deliver value to their members but rather extract every last penny for themselves at a cost to the less than well informed customer?

upgrade likes this.
  19. blase

blase Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you clarify something for me? If I search your tool for SIN-SYD, it says 60000 miles in First for BA Only. However, I am getting the Qantas A380 flight from SIN-SYD for only 60000 BA miles, which I am about to book. This does not show on your chart. Other "partner" awards show on your chart, but not direct from SIN-SYD.

Am I reading it correctly?

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You're reading the data I'm presenting correctly. In this case it appears that I'm just missing the SIN-SYD partner rate in my database. I will get it added in, but in the mean time you can rest assured that the non-stop is 60K in F (20K in Y) on QF or BA metal.

21. blase

blase Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, WA! I see you've added it already. :)

22. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh man! this is the most useful tool I have seen in a long time! Just what I was looking for.! BA are you listening??? this is how it should be!! not that useless calculator you have on your website..........thanks Seth!!

23. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    looking forward to having CX added via HKG. keep up the work.

24. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are there any CX connections that you aren't seeing there? I should have most of their route map in the system.

25. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    when you search YYZ-PVG, there is no YYZ-HKG-PVG just routes through other places...perhaps that was not the purpose of the tool...if so, i should search the segments separate if there is a nonstop? correct.