Avios Bookings via phone - getting a busy line

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by iolaire, Feb 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've tried to make my first AS booking via the phone today. And each time I call the US number 1-800-452-1201, #1, #1 it gives me a busy signal. Is this common?

I have some time so I'll keep trying, but I was looking forward to a long wait time of a few hours, not a busy phone number!

(Planning on burning up some of my stash on an DCA-SEA flight since my wife doesn't want to approve a BA flight with fuel surcharges.)

2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    So over the weekend I got the hold music and did not sit on hold, today I called and it was answered instantaneously! So the busy signal I was encountering may have been only temporary.

Unfortunately I was looking at 20k AS space not the 12.5k AS space so BA had nothing available...

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Were you calling close to the closing time of the phone bank you were calling? I've gotten the busy signal a few times when it was close to the time they shut off the US line, assumed that maybe they stop accepting calls at some point near closing.

Flying Machine and iolaire like this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    No at that time it was likely right around 1 PM EST. But I will say there is a good chance there was weather on the east coast at that time, so that could have been a factor. This year there were many storms that missed DC but affected NYC and BOS and that could have affected the call centers.

5. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have read somewhere that there are different call centers that you can dial up BA. I have always had a long wait, sometime 30 minutes, BA and AC were my longest waits on hold last year.. Make UA Premium Line so valuable, I forgot what its like to wait. But 30 minutes, come on BA (an the reps are somewhat cranky when they answer as well) However, AVIOS is a great way to position your self for MR or short hauls. Love the 4.500 redemptions :) Thanks and Safe Travels

6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today called at 2 PM est and it was picked up within a minute. I pre-mapped out my AS flights for Thanksgiving, picking flights only with 12.5k availability. The agent commented on how easy it was since he found the flights within seconds as I fed them to him. Then it took about 10 minutes to get it ticketed and pay. Initially he quoted the phone fee and I asked about getting it waved since it could not be booked online and he checked and waived it. Glad to be able to burn more of these miles since we are not going to pay the taxes and fees on a BA award.

Flyer1976 and eponymous_coward like this.