Avios and BA

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by jow_filipino, Aug 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jow_filipino

jow_filipino New Member

Hi, I just want to ask if there is any merit in getting a BA account as I already have all my points in Avios account. I am specifically interested to know if I can move up in the tier (silver, gold status etc) through an avios account? I have been flying BA but giving my Avios number - however I am sure they haven't been counting it towards me getting a silver status.

2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Just sign up for the free BA account. From there you should be able to see your tier points, etc. I wasn't aware you could credit BA flights to a regular avios account. The advantage is that you can move the points around between BA, Iberia and regular Avios retail account.
  3. FormalHall

FormalHall Active Member

You cannot earn tier points on an avios.com account, it is a glorified shopping rewards programme for infrequent flyers (hence the redemptions for Monarch and Air Malta which are not available on BA) Avios.com offers no status benefits no matter how often you fly.

As the previous poster said, open a BA account, or even consider another one world programme (for example AA measures status by qualifying miles flown rather than tier points, so can be easier to earn status if you fly a lot on long haul economy).