Aviation Consultant Mike Boyd Totally Trashes New AA Look

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, Jan 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    rwoman and skyvan like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems to me he doesn't like the fact that money is spent on any new look at this time.

I have said something similar here in these pages when it was still a rumor.

Now that it's been decided, I don't feel the need to trash it. It is what it is, and life is too short to worry about something that I can't change.

miamigrad, ella, hulagrrl210 and 3 others like this.
  3. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    And now the question is, if (when?) they do merge with US Airways, are they going to go through the re-branding process all over again? For the record, I hope not...wastefulness aside I kinda like the way it turned out.

foxberg likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope they just stick with it and repaint the US jets over time.

viguera likes this.
  5. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    If there are in fact friendly, non-hostile takeover, merger talks going on (and we're pretty sure there are), didn't this HAVE to have come up? Admittedly if the re-branding process took two years, a lot of it may have already been rolling before those talks, but jeeze, it had to have been addressed. Not sure what all that means, but just sayin. . . .

jmjgp12, viguera and foxberg like this.
  6. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, I have to agree with Boyd, a terrible waste of money at a most inopportune time... I mean come on... it's not like the airline is rolling in the dough....

sobore, viguera and skyvan like this.
  7. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too agree with Boyd. Throwing money away. A simple solution would have been to base paint the 787s that are incoming and necessitated the change with a silver metallic paint and then doing the same livery. That would've helped reduce costs. Also note that with this new paint scheme there is more paint going on a plane and thus more weight going in to the sky. That means more money is spent getting every plane in the air and keeping it in the sky.

Also this butt ugly scheme will be found on every US Airways aircraft if US when they eventually buy AA (and I see that bid as being successful) to this scheme or a united scheme utilizing some combination of both schemes. This however may be that scheme, with the flag look on the tail.

8. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I still think the re-branding happened with the merger in mind.

JoeCortez, MyTravels and viguera like this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Possible, but then the "prudent" thing to do is wait it out and let the new company absorb the cost of rebranding. At that point everyone would have said "oh that makes sense" regardless of AA's financial state.

garyst16, MX and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, but the positive impact on corporate culture of changes like this isn't something that should be underestimated. It's an important internal project, and it focuses employees on the change and is a constant reminder of the external impacts of their jobs.

AisleSeatBob likes this.
  11. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    If anything, I see US being happy with the work done, since now they no longer have to worry about doing the work to create the next evolution, and can get the repainting process rolling out faster

12. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they just wanted to beat US to it? I mean, if US re-branded first then in case of the merger American would have lost it's look and name. As it was mentioned before they will not re-brand again in the case of a merger.

13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given that this started two years ago, reportedly, i doubt the potential of a US merger had much, I anything, to do with this.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

jmjgp12 and akcae like this.
  14. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hard to argue with that. People who devote themselves to the airline should rank a bit higher than the re-branding effort.

viguera likes this.
  15. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I for one find it pretty amazing the fuss being here and elsewhere made over AA or any other airline changing the color of their aircraft whether exterior/interior of a status card one rarely uses. The discussion sort of reminds of those silly ( IMHO at least) fashion shows one sees on TV

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's different though... I can understand in those rare times when an airline is doing well and they spend millions refreshing the interiors or maybe just running a big marketing push that says "hey look at us! we're #1" or whatever.

When you have a company in bankruptcy and they decide to proceed with a rebranding effort that's all flash, even though they still have serious financial concerns to address, it makes you wonder what management is thinking.

I for one know that this whole endeavor is not going to make me fly one more AA flight this year than I had planned -- new logo, new cards or new paint makes no difference to me. Get me new routes, new planes or more perks and I'm your guy.

newbluesea likes this.
  17. Stripy

Stripy Active Member

Status Points:
    CH. 11 is being used to address just those financial concerns that you mention....just like every other major US legacy airline did. Rebranding is all part of coming out of bankruptcy.....the whole point is to give the air of dispensing with the bad old past and pushing forward with the bright new future. In that light re-branding makes a lot more sense when it comes to a company that has had issues as compared to ones that you describe that have had no problems at all. Why fix what isn't broken?

They're not aiming the rebrand at FFs like us no matter what they tell you. This is squarely aimed at the broader travel community who has seen AA slip in ranking, size and prestige and seen their dirty laundry aired in public. The rebrand is basically saying to them "forget what you think we are...that's the old AA, this is the new AA, come try us out again".

newbluesea and malikguy like this.
  18. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see this as a pre-emptive "No" to US...suggesting if the merger does go through it would be foolish to stop the rebranding and thus a merged carrier with US would remain AMERICAN. Otherwise this could be the shortest rebranding of a corporation since the corporation that once owned UA and WESTIN and HERTZ came up with ALLEGIS, one of those manufactured names that has long vanished!

MyTravels, garyst16 and arkleseizure like this.
  19. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL, I remember being driven to an airport for a UA flight one time and the cabbie said "which airline today?" Like a smartas$, just to see what would happen, I said "Air Allegis" . . . to total bafflement.

20. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    And maybe we'll need to agree to disagree about some of these points, because I would imagine the general public won't see it the same way either. Maybe *after* you come out of bankruptcy it makes sense to go forth with a huge marketing push and new image saying "look, we're back and better than ever" -- similar to what Chrysler went through. And maybe if you have new management, a new direction and better management then a rebranding comes out looking like a solid strategy.

In my book this is you basically changing the logo on the side of the building and handing out new business cards, but when I come to your office it's the same people selling the same product.

And don't get me wrong, I went out of my way to make sure my next two trips (2/2 and 2/16) are on AA, so I don't hate them by far, but this looks like a waste to me and I think most industry people see it the same way.

21. Stripy

Stripy Active Member

Status Points:
    We can agree to disagree :)

I think you're giving the public too much credit. I'd guess that most regular folk had little idea that AA were in Ch.11 until, perhaps, the pilot shenanigans late last year...even then it almost certainly by-passed a lot of them. That was 3-4 months ago and now passangers (even those that still remember the whole Ch. 11 thing) will see the rebrand and the hype about new planes and the issues of the past will be forgotten (if they're even still remebered)...they're not going to look up facts to see if AA has emerged from Ch11....they'll just assume it has....and hey presto! The rebrand has done exactly what it was meant to do.

Now, it's true to say that if they get on the planes and get the same old bad treatment as before then they'll soon take their $$$s to whatever other carrier Kayak/Orbitz/Expedia spits out at them but that's not the debate here. We're discussing who the rebrand is aimed at.

22. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Except if they waited post merger they new re-branding may not have launched. Although if they were to rebrand I think they've done a good job, but this was both (a) a waste of money and (b) based on timing it may have been pushed out the door to assure it happened before the merger.

foxberg likes this.
  23. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with b), disagree with a). They had to do it. They had to erase an image of an airline that's gone through a bankruptcy. The needed a fresh new start, clean new look. It also send a message that they do have money despite the recent troubles. And that means stability and improves faith in their loyalty program. I'd say any time a company goes through the re-branding process it usually sends good vibes to the consumer (unless it's GAP with their short lived attempt at an atrocious new logo).

24. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think American has been very clear that there's new product to go with this.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Golden Toque, Canadi>n and jmjgp12 like this.
  25. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had to do it: Maybe - although I think that's debatable. The scale that AA went through, which seems much broader than either the DL/NW or UA/CO rebranding (which neither launched a new logo and patchwork website upgrade together) seems excessive and may even be more expensive then either of the others that were really needed.

Except they're still in bankruptcy.. ..if this was as AA emerged, then that's a credible argument, although still not to the scale it has undertook.

I think we both agree that given this was launched prior to bankruptcy exit it definitely gives credence to the theory that the rebrand was launched early as they may not have been able to later (re: merger).

viguera likes this.