Automatically Checked Out?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Maxwell, Jul 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Maxwell

Maxwell Active Member

I booked a 6-night stay at a SpringHill Suites, and checked in on the first day of the booking. For personal reasons, I wasn't able to stay in the room for the first 2 nights. When I arrived back at the hotel on the 3rd night, I found that my room keys didn't work. I went to the front desk and they claimed I had only reserved 2 nights even after I showed them my confirmation email. They said that sometimes people get checked out early if they don't have luggage in the room, but still claim that didn't happen here.

Is it standard Marriott policy to check out empty rooms? I couldn't find anything in a few minutes of Googling. They did book me into a new room at the same rate so I can't complain too much, but I would have been out of luck had there not been an available room. Being a platinum member of Marriott Rewards, the least I expected was a satisfactory explanation (or a phone call)! Any ideas?