Automated Fare Alerts

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by FlyingFree, Feb 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, I’m about to ask a really stupid question that I should know the answer to – but I don’t!

I’ve used Kayak many times to get a general idea of fares to a particular destination around a particular date. But as far as I know, Kayak cannot be set up to automatically inform you about fare decreases or sales to specific destinations that you are interested in.

Way back in the early days of Internet booking, I recall that there were automated services that would automatically e-mail you about fare changes to specific destinations. These must still exist…have/do you use these to keep track of fares for possible mileage/status runs?

Miles likes this.
  2. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    FlyingFree likes this.
  3. jerseychris1
    Original Member

jerseychris1 Active Member

Status Points:
    I've also used Bing travel (formerly farecast) for their price trend feature.

FlyingFree and Miles like this.
  4. giblet
    Original Member

giblet Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can get fare alerts on Kayak as well. If you are signed in, after you do a search for a flight on the left-hand side there's an option "Get a fare alert." You can set it for an exact date or month or any time.

There's also an option up top under "My Account" for fare alerts. You can choose your city pairs or just choose your home city and certain regions like Asia, Africa, etc. and it will send you the best deals every day or week. My understanding is they get the numbers from previous users searching so if you live in a place where they aren't many Kayak users it's not useful. Shouldn't be a problem if you are in the US, though.

Freddie Listo likes this.