Auto Train using points 4/30/2012

Discussion in 'Amtrak | Guest Rewards' started by cwebb86, Jun 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cwebb86
    Original Member

cwebb86 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just redeemed 33250 points (35000 - 5% with Amtrak Mastercard holding) for April 30, 2012 auto train, 2 persons, deluxe bedroom, oversized vehicle, from Sanford to Lorton. Decent value at 3.8 cents per point (fare would have been $1263 for peak return date north for snowbirds).
    Most of points were from new Mastercard signup bonus (30,000)
    Third auto train trip for spouse and me.:)

2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well done!

3. calwatch
    Original Member

calwatch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think my record was a 38,000 point redemption for two roomettes from Washington to Albuquerque - $2,300+ for the fare (high bucket), converted into points.

On the Amtrak Unlimited bulletin board, there are many people who have done long journeys on Amtrak. You can maximize your train time that way, if that's what you want. Often times, at high season prices and high bucket prices for sleeper redemptions, it is actually cheaper to buy points and redeem rather than than pay the high bucket fare. For example, just using arbitrary August dates, you could go from Wolf Point to Denver for $1500 ($1800 for two), or spend 15,000 points on a roomette. The base cost for points is 2.75 cents per point, with a possible Continental mile swap of 3.76 cents per mile if you run out of miles available from Amtrak. With Amtrak's extreme flexibility on reward redemption, this is great for last minute getaways - of course, assuming there's that sleeper space on the train.