Authorized User w/o SS number?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by michael21, Jul 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was helping a friend apply today for some cards and noticed that the United card from Chase and the AA from Citi didn't ask for a SS # when asking if he wanted an authorized user.

I work and live where there are plenty of VRs...I didn't want to be an AU before because I didn't want random people (lol my friend) on my credit report but now if they aren't asking for it, I don't see the harm (assuming I trust him lol)...

Is this the case? Are all Chase and Citi cards "gettable" without a SS number for the AU?

2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about ALL of them, but even Amex who asks for an SS# doesn't force you to enter it and approves auth users without it. So I'd say it's pretty near all. Once Chase unexpectedly sent me two cards when I was approved saying I can give the other one to whomever I'd like. In that case the card number on both is identical and my own name was embossed on both, but the name on the front doesn't matter as long as the signature on the back matches the person using it. Not that anyone checks very often!

3. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok awesome so I don't have to give my SS and can use it with no problems?

4. A3870696

A3870696 Active Member

Status Points:
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

That was true in the past (I have authorized users on my SPG Amex without providing a SS#). But it doesn't seem to be their process anymore, as I found out when I was trying to "move" them to my NAF Hilton Amex card in order to cancel the SPG Amex:

amex_extra_card.png

The SS # field is marked with the "Required fields" asterisk.

6. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good catch. That sucks. I also added a user without an SSN in the past.

7. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amex chat told me you can call in and add without SS number