Authorized User Question?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by xxxadixxx, Aug 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. xxxadixxx
    Original Member

xxxadixxx Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did not find a clear answer to this, but after following several threads about CC apps, it made me think I have been leaving points on the table. Normally, my wife and I each sign up for a particular card. If we both have the card, can we still sign each other up as an authorized user and thus get the typical bonuses for having a new user? If that is the case, how do I know we can get a bonus for it? I normally see the bonus on the application page, but if I already have the card can we still get the bonus?

I would greatly appreciate any help on this.

xxxadixxx

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    interesting. Mrs. Gargoyle and I are authorized users on a number of each others cards, we've never gotten sign-up bonuses. Perhaps we just overlooked the check-box to get that, but I don't think so- If my DL Amex would do that I'd sign up our kids, cousins, chickens and the neighbors cat. :D

(when I was building my studio, I got a card for my contractor, he ran most of the building materials through it- I got a lot of miles that year!)

3. xxxadixxx
    Original Member

xxxadixxx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Several cards, CO is one that comes to mind, that when I applied had 5,000 miles if an authorized user were added.

Gargoyle and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct, that's limited to 1 user though, iirc. SPG Amex has (had?) a similar deal, for 1,000 SPG for up to two users, iirc.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be cautious about adding users to CC accounts without thinking about other implications for credit ratings and possibly treatment during divorces and bankruptcies. Also, how many cards to you each want to carry and monitor?

Jett Rink likes this.
  6. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you add a user, do you have to notify the user that s/he is on your account? I guess the CC company would mail the additional card directly to them.

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    when I added my contractor to my amex account, I used my address, and they mailed the card to me- I then handed it to him. IIRC we didn't give them any personal data about him, certainly not his SS number.

jmrich1432 and Freddie Listo like this.
  8. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. Thanks G!

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Of course, that was a few years ago, before the financial meltdown caused credit card companies to change lots of rules, so YMMV.

10. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    It varies from card to card and company to company. CO and SPG, as others have noted, are the only cards that have given me bonus points/miles for adding additional users. SPG offer of 1000 points x 2 is still available. At least I saw a working link recently.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My best guess is that the additional user would be required to sign something. This might be covered by the consumer protection laws saying that CC companies can no longer mail an unsolicited card to you.

This sounds like you're planning to put people on your accounts without ever telling them, just so that you get the additional points. Do the T&C require that a first purchase be made on the additional card for the points?

It might depend on the CC, but the additional user might be required to sign that they're responsible for their own charges if you would default. I haven't looked at the additional user forms in a long time, but I think there also was a time when AmEx required them and you to sign that they were of the required age.

12. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, not planning to do so, just about the process and how it is done.

13. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I apply for cards for my wife, I add myself as an authorized user at sign-up whether there's a bonus for it or not. That way I have no problem calling to activate the cards myself and they've even allowed me to close her accounts. When I apply for my own cards, I only add her if there's an added bonus or if it will become my primary points earning card (a la SPG or Membership Rewards Amex).

My wife hates calling banks and while she approves of the spoils from my meticulous acquisition of points and miles she hates the work involved. I don't mind it, so I manage credit for the both of us. And she dutifully charges everything as an authorized user on my Amex and Sapphire cards. :)

xxxadixxx likes this.
  14. xxxadixxx
    Original Member

xxxadixxx Silver Member

Status Points:
    So the short answer to my question seems to be that there are a few instances where it could work, but it makes things more complicated. With only the CO, SPG, and AMEX Rewards cards being valid, it may not be worth the effort/hassle. Watching another card is not an issue as we each only carry 1-2 cards (depending on min spends or focuse programs). The reamaining cards sit in our safe.

I appreciate the varied responses. Its helpful to get several perspectives like this. Thanks.

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find it scary and inappropriate that an additional user can cancel the main card account. I could imagine this being used maliciously in a divorce. Perhaps this is another reason to be careful about additional card on your account.

16. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    that's not how it works. the additional user by default can't even discuss the account with the credit card company, unless and until the primary user specifically authorizes it.

However, security on that system isn't that great- they will do it over the phone, so another person of the proper gender can get on the line and claim to be the primary user and give authorization- if that person knows all the pin numbers, secret question answers, and is using a phone number registered with the credit card company. Therefore the primary user still would have to have given the secondary user access to all the secret access keys.

17. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the personal card only, https://www201.americanexpress.com/cards/Applyfservlet?csi=6/22592/s/110&showHtml=true

The current Hilton Amex (not Surpass) 50K offer has a completely undocumented sub-offer of 2500 points for adding an additional, provided you do so at the time of application.

Other than the unenforceable requirement that the card itself be signed, no.

Starwood does require a purchase (any amount) for the bonus noted above. To be blunt, you can get a secondary card in your Uncle Oswald's name and buy something online (or at a POS terminal at a drugstore or gas station) to meet that requirement without his ever knowing, although ...

In my recent experience, Amex does require the applicant (primary cardholder) to provide the prospective secondary cardholder's DOB & SSN, and insists on a minimum age of 16.

18. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    You would think it's supposed to be this way but this is not my experience.

In the past two weeks I have activated a Citi HHONORS Visa and a Chase Sapphire Visa - both are my wife's accounts, I am an authorized user. I simply called up, they verified information and asked for "the primary account holder's mother's maiden name" (or security word, in Citi's case, which I picked anyway). I clearly sound male, the representatives heard me say I was activating on behalf of my wife. I work at home so I picked up the mail when the cards were delivered and activated immediately. Had I not told my wife about it she would have no idea two new accounts have been opened in her name, activated and in use.

I've even done this to help my mom get 100K BA miles. I did all the spending but I gave her all the miles for domestic AA trips to visit her daughter and granddaughter.

Also, I find it ridiculous that Chase, Citi and perhaps others issue authorized user cards with the same account and CVV numbers. If one card is lost or compromised, all cards have to be replaced. Unlike Barclays and Amex, where if one card is lost the additional cards remain active while the lost card is closed.

Gargoyle and upgrade like this.
  19. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the Citi AA Business Visa, each card has its own number.

20. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's generally true of all business accounts in my experience. Unfortunately that's usually not the case in personal accounts.

21. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think that's the key, you're an "authorized user". I have had to authorize my wife to have her be able to talk to the customer service people. I recall at least one card where they explained different levels of authorization. At one level, they could discuss details with her but she couldn't make changes, at a higher level she could make changes.

I'm sure some cards are much looser and others tighter in how they implement these controls.

22. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see your point but now I wonder whether we're discussing semantics. I'm fully aware of different security levels and technical differences between authorization and access. I said "authorized user" as a general term but now I wonder what the verbage was when I applied for those accounts. Did the Chase and Citi applications say "Add an authorized cardholder" or "Add an additional cardholder" - important distinction, I realize now. And frankly I don't recall.

Gargoyle likes this.
  23. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    and frankly, their customer service people could have been casual or careless about explaining or implementing it.
    also, I'm guessing each card issuer has their own definitions for words like "authorized" or "additional".

24. Stiga9

Stiga9 Active Member

Status Points:
    Can an authorized user help meet minimum spend for a sign-up bonus? (Citibank specifically).

25. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    yes. For most banks, Citibank included, it is the same exact card. Amex is one that isn't the case but still works to have AU help with spend. Look at the numbers and ccv on your two cards if you have it. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint