Austrian Airlines will now have full-flat seats (identical to LX's)

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by Jimgotkp, Oct 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

From the *A Facebook page:

"Member carrier, Austrian Airlines, is converting its entire long-haul fleet and installing a new modern cabin. The upgrade will include full-flat beds with built-in massaging function in Business Class; innovative ergonomic seats in Economy Class; and a new Video & Audio on Demand-system with the most-up-to-date movies, audio, games, information, shopping and e-reading material for nonstop in-flight entertainment."

This is a great for those who want to get to Europe in a full-flat seat in Business! Remember they fly to Chicago, New York, Washington D.C., and Toronto non-stop from Vienna!

ralfkrippner, sobore and uggboy like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    More pictures from Austrian's website:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

According to airliners.de:
    "The conversion of the six Boeing 767s and four 777 will begin in November. All Austrian long-haul aircraft are then until mid-April 2013"

sobore likes this.
  3. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh yeah! Why on earth did LH not get these? Darn 747s...;)

ralfkrippner likes this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am looking forward to the new seats on OS- combined with their catering offering this will be one of the better products with * alliance around in business class from Europe.

5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    December 4 from VIE to JFK will debut the new cabin.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! Looking forward to testing this out. Nice update by OS.

7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't actually find them that comfortable to sleep in, fwiw, except for the aisle-adjacent seat I had on one leg. Part of that is that I'm a side sleeper and it was too confining for my feet when I was in the one-per-row seat like the top picture.

8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it is the same seat as LX- for a business class seat- it is fine to sleep in (or at least what is expected). What I would really like is if they provide a mattress such as EK does- here I am probably dreaming.

9. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting assessment! How did you find the two seats in general? Would you prefer one over the other? ie: Is it best to get the two seats together as a couple or each best to find the single if you don't care much about conversation etc. as it is more private?

10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aside from the sleeping part, the seats were awesome in all respects (though I prefer CX's wider herringbone config on their A340s except for the inability to look out the window). For sleeping, I'd only get an aisle seat with the cutout to the aisle in the second pic.

However: I'm a large woman with speed skater legs. Most men have less leg muscle than I do.

Stephan likes this.
  11. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wholeheartedly agree with you on those CX seats - they are very nice. Roughly how big is the foot cubicle on the OS seats for the legs? BTW have you sat in the new LH seat yet?

desamo likes this.
  12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am quite sure the seat is the same as used on LX- in which case the cubicle is more than big enough for 2 feet and legs.

13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. It's not. :( Not for me.

14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course it would always be wonderful to have more space.

For a business class seat- it seems to be reasonable.

Of course there is always F....

15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I felt like I had less leg space than in Y on the one segment where I flew in the "middle" config C seat. Granted, a better seat, but no better for sleeping.

16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the short haul product- the long haul is the one pictured in this thread.

17. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was speaking of the long-haul product, which I flew from DXB-ZRH and ZRH-JFK (on LX, obviously).

18. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm.. with a flat bed- not good for sleeping? And the "middle seat" config is typically what is referred to as the shorthaul product where the airline just blocks the middle seat.

19. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    By middle seat, I meant this particular config:

[​IMG]

Where the footwell is smaller because you are confined on either side and the footwell angles inward. I found that uncomfortable in anything but a near-sitting position.

20. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this seat really identical to LXs? The controls seem a bit different as do the seat materials....at least they do in pictures. I'm wondering if the OS product is more "cushion'y" than the LX product that I found rather hard, regardless of how inflated it was/wasn't.

Also, are there seating maps for this configuration around? All I've seen online is the old layout with the old seat.

21. MikeLaw
    Original Member

MikeLaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are both seats provided by Thompson Aerospace (their Vantage Suite) so they are extremely similar. Some things are options (the buttons on the inside when the seat is fully reclined, the exact fabrics, etc) so there will likely be some minor differences, but the basic frame and padding are the same.

This is the seatmap, indicating that odd numbered rows have A&K as thrones:

[​IMG]

ralfkrippner likes this.
  22. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another reason for flying via Vienna - pretty good seats it seems. I like the LX seats very much and hope I'll be able to test OS biz seats soon. OS's catering is a main reason for me to chose them over LH if route allows. I also really like their coffee offerings and am drinking Julius Meinl coffee at home, too.
    So odd that LH chose those inferior new biz seats instead of the classy ones of LX and OS...

23. MikeLaw
    Original Member

MikeLaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    Given the excellence of OS's catering, I think the seats will make choosing them a slam dunk. I tried to get the new J seat on the VIE-JFK route in May, which their tool was advising would happen when I purchased the seats. Unfortunately, it now indicates that the new cabin won't quite be ready when I fly. Luckily, I don't mind the old seats so much on the westbound leg.