Australian Membership Rewards Thread

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by savydog, Apr 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi guys, as things are a little different for us Aussies, I thought we could use a thread where any MR news or offers are kept together. Feel free to post your thoughts, issues and successes here.

wombat18, infoworks and Chimpy like this.
  2. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now to kick things off, I received in the mail today from Amex an offer for 5 MR points per dollar spent at Harvey Norman. The offer is for electrical or computer appliances and must have a minimum spend of $2000. Will have to have a look around the house and the office for things that might need upgrading or replacing. The offer is good to 30/6/2011.

Anyone else get the mail out ?

bluesky and Chimpy like this.
  3. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I find most of the promos discussed here which I think is a good place to start looking for Australia Amex promos. This might be a good source of information until we get more going in this thread.

savydog likes this.
  4. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, nothing for me!

In fact, I don't get any MR mail-outs. Maybe it's because my Amex issued card is my emergency card that stays in the safe whenever I check into a hotel - as a result, total charges of $0 over the last 24 months :)

milchap, savydog and Chimpy like this.
  5. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Didn't get the AX offer (AFAIK) but nice to have somewhere we can post these things and chase up...

savydog and Chimpy like this.
  6. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the post Savydog, I have not got one yet but who knows. I agree with infoworks it is good to be able to find somewhere on "this" site to post these things.

JALPak and savydog like this.
  7. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just followed the link above to AFF (thanks Simon). I have not been there for a while and just noticed there is a like button on AFF as well. How long has a like button been there? Am I just unobservant? :confused:
    I have not been there as much since this forum opened up.

Kaanapali, JALPak and savydog like this.
  8. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Not sure but the forum has been around a while and probably the only place I`m aware of where Australian actively discuss credit cards promos and questions etc. Lets hope enough people come here and we can get our own thing going here.

I still have a couple of credit cards in Australia but sadly I now reside in Japan so I probably won`t be the best of help but I do keep up to do as much as I can so I can advise my family what card to use, when etc especially with Amex as they all have standard Amex`s and use Citibank.

Also just to add, Amex is hard to justify the costs unless you take advantage of their promos as some are like mega bonus points and often they never tell you so you always have to be on the look out!

savydog likes this.
  9. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes it is a good site for Australians, I have been a member since early 2009 and a lurker well before then. It would be great if we can build up some good AU content here as well. :)

JALPak, adl73x and savydog like this.
  10. ozstamps
    Original Member

ozstamps Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish they'd offer a decent transfer rate to Starwood as Americans get!

wombat18 and savydog like this.
  11. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    They might if they cared about SPG in Australia. Not half as many hotels in AUS compared to US. It's the same in Japan as AUS if that makes you feel any better.

savydog likes this.
  12. ozstamps
    Original Member

ozstamps Silver Member

Status Points:
    Staying at Starwood Hotels is irrelevant actually.

I have over a million miles in Starwood that were moved from amex.

It is like the central bank and I can move them to near any airline plan on earth - when and as many as I need. And you get 20% more by doing do.

savydog likes this.
  13. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree. I use SPG as middle man for transferring to LH. I would love to see LH (M&M to be exact) to be part of Australian MR.

14. ozstamps
    Original Member

ozstamps Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes I really would like to see some extra direct transfer options.

15. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was discussing Centurion with AX in Oz recently (I opted out of it a while ago). As far as I can tell, the benefits all seem related to using their travel service...not something I want to do with a TA I have had for 30+ years who knows seat preferences, quirks, no problems, etc.

savydog likes this.
  16. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    From an Australian Amex? The transfer rates are terrible. Would you not be better off transferring to the half a dozen airlines that are possible to transfer from Amex points directly rather than using SPG with the terrible exchange rate thus decreasing your value for money?

savydog likes this.
  17. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Okay lets get this ball rolling

For everyones information a full list of bonus points partners can be found here

Promotions I could find running at the moment include, (I'll see if I can find some more soon as these are all just for AUS FF forum)

Earn 10 Bonus Points for every $1 spent when you sign up for a new policy with AAMI

AAMI offer a wide range of insurance products including: Car, Home, Contents, Travel, Business and CTP Insurance. When you sign up for a new policy and pay using your American Express Centurion Card you'll earn 10 Bonus Points per $1 spent on transactions before 31 July 2011. So if your premium is $500, you'll earn a whopping 5,000 points.

Register at americanexpress.com.au/10xaami and take out a new policy before 31 July 2011.

[​IMG]

savydog likes this.