Australia using AA miles

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Epson187, Jan 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. My husband and I are thinking about using some AA miles to fly to Australia. I have called the ExecPlat desk a couple of time to look for different flights for partner airlines and it seems as though business class seats are hard to come by. We would like to fly business class. Wanted to get feedback from others that have used AA miles on Quantas. How far in advance did you book? What city did you fly from/to? We were going to see about DFW to Sydney, but I hear other award seats might be easier to snag. Also when did you go? Was thinking about this upcoming Oct-Feb? Thanks for the info!

2. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    do you want to travel on Oneworld partners only?

3. Isn't that all I can fly using AA miles?

4. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    All-Partner Awards can be booked on Etihad Airways (EY), Air Pacific (FJ), Air Tahiti Nui (TN), Alaska Airlines (AS) / Horizon Air (QX), Air Berlin (AB) / NIKI (HG), EL AL (LY), GOL (G3), Gulf Air (GF), Hawaiian Airlines (HA), Jet Airways (9W), Cape Air (9K), and Kingfisher Airlines (IT).

Qantas is very hard to get an award flight on because of the way they release their award inventory first to elites. You need to be ready to book on 331 days, I think Qantas might even do 335 not 100%, out from travel.

Otherwise you will probably be stuck with economy class. Sorry. Qantas is just tight like that.

Epson187 likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Many of those partners would require two awards though. To go North America to Oceania on one award you need to go across the Pacific and not connect in Asia/Europe/Middle East. Keep that in mind when looking for seats. Also, the over water carrier needs to publish a routing from your origin to your destination, otherwise your award isn't bookable.

Qantas releases award space early, but AA will only allow you to book the space up to 330 days out. It doesn't matter when the partners release space, AA only allows bookings starting at 330 days.

I've seen F/J awards on Qantas open up weeks or even days prior to departure. They're tough to find but don't give up, it's very possible. I have booked F on QF twice now. Keep looking, be vigilant! ;)

Have you considers investing in a service like ExpertFlyer to search for award space? Or directly on the QF site?

Epson187 likes this.
  6. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    We're (family of 3) flying to SYD the end of March, though in Y so maybe not the most helpful for you. But I did book back in May for the flights - DAY-ORD-LAX-SYD...actually at the time we had more trouble finding availability on the domestic segments.

We toyed with looking for J seats but decided to tough it out and save the miles for another trip. I did research some J seats a little in the process though. They are harder to come by (and especially for more than two at a time) and it'll take some flexibility and patience. If you're not averse to flying in Y if it comes to it, you could book in that class and monitor for J availability closer-in, that way you can still make the trip even if the higher class doesn't materialize (I believe you can upfare (so to speak) an existing Y award - someone will correct me if I"m wrong) I'd also recommend ExpertFlyer which is what I mainly used - the alerts that you can set are really helpful.

I don't know if you have any other airline program's miles or not. If so that could provide some flexibility. We used United miles for the return from New Zealand. I went into the planning open to using any combination of AA, UA, BA, and DL miles that would work - my only caveat was I was set on wanting to fly the A380 for at least one leg.

Dec-Jan or so is the holiday and school summer break period where it's supposed to be quite busy and hotel, etc rates higher. TripAdvisor and Lonely Planet have some decent advice on time periods during the year for the different regions - and probably someone on here can chime in with better inputs on timing.

Epson187 likes this.
  7. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very good points.Forgot about the AA 330 days, Brain fart.

If the OP doesn't mind waiting until the last minute to book that is fine. Also there is a possibility of being split up from the husband in F by waiting so long.

I would definitely recommend OP use EF reward flight alert if they want to improve odds of booking F on Qantas.

Epson187 likes this.