Australia Hyatts Sydney and Melbourne

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Phineas, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, I see after a lot of attempts at booking Sydney that the place is closed starting next month, does anyone know for how long?

Melbourne, I see there are two properties,, The Grand Hyatt and the Park Hyatt

any comments on the two

2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have some photos from my Grand Hyatt stay last year HERE. I had a wonderful time there and really enjoyed the 31st floor lounge, even if it was to pop in for a soft drink and read the newspaper for a few minutes in the afternoon. All the staff there were just fantastic. As you'll see from the photos they do have some spectacular city views and plenty of floor space, and a good choice of food options in the evening to make it a destination.

I walked over to the Park Hyatt on Parliament Square and can tell you that either location works as they are not far away from each other. I have not stayed there.

3. Cuse44
    Original Member

Cuse44 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called the Park Hyatt Sydney to get the full details of the closing (I have my honeymoon scheduled for mid October 2011). The lady I spoke with said the hotel will be closing on March 28th for approximately 6 months (which would make the renovation complete around the end of September). She said that during the summer (July/August), you can call the property directly and they will have updates regarding the status of the renovation (on schedule, ahead of schedule, behind schedule).

Personally, I don't think they will be done in the 6 month window (which is why I have a room at the Sheraton on the Park booked as a backup).

4. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm leaning toward the GH in Melbourne as it will be on points and while they both seem like good properties, the GH seems to get just a wee bit more in the positive reviews

ended up booking the PH just to get something in the books but am still wavering on my decision; ughh just had to cancel due to an incompetent CSR on the diamond line

5. Coathanger
    Original Member

Coathanger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a one-night points stay at the Grand Hyatt Melbourne in late December and was looking forward to seeing the refurbishment for myself.

Despite putting in my reservation an arrival time of 11AM the Club King room allocated to me was not ready on arrival so I was relieved of my bags and was sent up to the Grand Club lounge on Level 31 with the assurance that I would be called when the room was ready.

At this time I was also given a letter outlining reduced Grand Club services over the holiday season. There were only a few muffins and drinks on offer so I decided to head out to St Kilda on the tram rather than wait around.

Despite assurances that the room would be given priority by housekeeping, I returned at 2:45PM and was told that the room was still not ready. Given that the standard check-in time at this hotel is 2PM I found this quite disappointing.

I was offered an alternate Club King room but as it was located next to the elevators with accompanying noise I asked to be moved to a quieter room. After a short wait I was given a Club King corner room (2906) and the Diamond amenity was delivered.

[​IMG]

Pre-dinner drinks were being held at RU-CO bar instead of the Grand Club lounge during this festive season which turned out to be rather good. Sweet fresh strawberries and bubbly made for a good accompaniment to my book.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The following morning breakfast was at Collins Kitchen (instead of the lounge) and there was an excellent spread of cooked-to-order options including Belgian waffles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check-out was flawless with breakfast charges already removed and I was on my way in a matter of minutes.

Overall the hotel staff were friendly and the property looks great post-refurbishment. However, they need to manage customer expectations better and ensure that an assigned room is ready at the latest by their 2PM check-in time.

Positives
    • Upgraded to Grand Club room with great views over Melbourne (third time lucky)
    • Provided with Diamond Amenity (but only after asking at Reception)
    • Refurbished rooms and public spaces
    • Great location near Flinders Street Station
    • Nespresso machine in-room
    • Excellent canapés provided at RU-CO bar in lieu of the Grand Club lounge
    Negatives
    • Room was not ready on arrival despite notifying the hotel at reservation of a 11AM arrival
    • Diamond benefits were not explained (despite status being acknowledged at check-in)

tom911 likes this.
  6. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Checked in to the Park Hyatt Melbourne late last night. Had to choose (like everyone else) between the Grand Hyatt and the Park but having had the privilege of staying at a few PH hotels (and the one in Paris four times!), it seemed easy - I have always been overwhelmed by the PH hotels.

One of the bloggers I enjoy reading, Ben of One Mile at a Time, speaks of the issues he can have with Singapore Air. They are so wonderful that when they fall short of wonderful, it's disappointing. I get it.

Asked about a newspaper at check-in, but no paper came this morning. Never asked about Diamond Amenity.
    Did about 3/4 day touring (our first day after two very long flights from the US) and finally called the Front Desk to ask about the amenity. Fine, a bottle of wine would be sent up immediately. Finally went down TWO hours later to ask about it! They apologized and did send someone up within 20 minutes. And I got a half bottle of wine! Really? Every other PH sends a bottle of wine, a lovely plate of goodies, a sweet note from the Manager, etc.

We were in the PH Paris Vendome in June. Diamond breakfast is pretty much - you name it! Here you get the Continental and if you want a hot dish, it's $8. Really not a big deal - I have no problem paying that. But the contrast between doing things graciously and impeccably and, well, just doing things - it's really striking. And I know that I feel a tad uncomfortable - most of my travel is on points so really, who am I to complain (this one is Points and Cash). But as I said, it seems like they are going thru the motions rather than having one impeccable standard and assuring everything is measures up.

OK - that's just some feedback. So thrilled and grateful to be here and having a blast.

7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I heard the PH MEL went down in quality ever since the new GM took over... supposedly their former Finance manager. Not surprising that this change in leadership led to such service levels especially with the amenities. Cuts here, cuts there, cuts everywhere.

8. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    To be clear, this is no dump at all and I have no former experience here to compare this stay to. We're having a lovely time. Just not at the level of the other Park Hyatts we have stayed at. That said, might be hard to find another Park Hyatt anywhere for a lower per nite rate.. I wasn't ranting - just giving a reaction. Unless I found out that the GH was over the top to Diamonds, I would have no problem recommending this place. One of the Front Desk people (Norman) was fabulous with us yesterday in helping to plan the day and Evelyn in the lounge is exceptional.

9. Sorry I am retarded , what are the diamond benefits are they similar? and can you book with points and get virtuoso benefits ? through someone like @Linda Terrill @DavidO