Australia confirms Manus Island immigration detention centre will close...but...?

Discussion in 'Off Topic/Social' started by uggboy, Aug 17, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Australia confirms Manus Island immigration detention centre will close

Odd?

Sense?

Despite...

And...it's pretty sad...

Overall... :(

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Asylum seekers face lifetime Australia ban if they arrive by boat

The Australian government plans to introduce legislation to ban asylum seekers who arrive by boat from ever being allowed into the country.

The ban will apply to any adult who has been sent to detention centres on Nauru or Manus Island since July 19th, 2013.

It means adults who have previously tried to enter Australia by boat since July 2013, but who have chosen to return home, will never be allowed to get a visa to Australia - even as a tourist, or a spouse.

The government plans to backdate its ban to July 19th, 2013, because that is when the former prime minister Kevin Rudd said: “As of today, asylum seekers who come here by boat without a visa will never be settled in Australia.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/worl...ustralia-ban-if-they-arrive-by-boat-1.2848529

Looks like Australia hasn't learned a lot in what's right or wrong. :(

3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Government to pay $70m damages to 1,905 Manus detainees in class action

Refugees and asylum seekers awarded $70m plus costs for physical and mental injuries suffered in detention centre.

@About Again
    @Chimpy

The Australian government and its offshore detention contractors will pay more than $70m in compensation to nearly 2,000 refugees and asylum seekers for illegally detaining them in dangerous and damaging conditions on Manus Island.

The government on Wednesday settled a class action brought by Slater and Gordon on behalf of 1,905 refugees and asylum seekers detained on the island, rather than proceed with a six-month trial that would have involved evidence before the court from detainees of murder inside the detention centre, systemic sexual and physical abuse, and inadequate medical treatment leading to injury and death.

The detention centre was ruled “illegal and unconstitutional” by the PNG Supreme Court in April 2016. It remains operational, housing nearly 900 men, but is slated for closure in October this year.

“This case is not just about me, it is about every person who has been trapped on Manus Island,” Kamasaee said.

“I came to Australia seeking peace, but I was sent to Manus, which was hell. I was in pain every minute of every day and I cried every night until I had nothing left.”

Kamasee said his treatment in the Manus Island detention centre was degrading and cruel.

“Sadly, many of my friends are still there.

“Our voices have never been listened to, but today we are finally being heard and I hope everyone’s suffering can be over as quickly as possible.”

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ges-to-manus-island-detainees-in-class-action

About Again likes this.
  4. About Again

About Again Gold Member

Status Points:
    Slater & Gordon needed that win, they are bankrupt, debt selling for cents on the dollar, shareholders screwed badly like the illegal immigrants on the island.

5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Overall, I'm glad they won, these "illegal" immigrants had been abused by the Australian authorities, they've known that they send them to "a cruel" life instead of the helping them in the first place. IMHO, no money can "really" make up when people suffer like this, it's simply not good enough IMHO to say "these people are Illegal and sending them of in harms way"...this wasn't a holiday, these people have suffered for real, now they get the recognition at least they should have gotten in the first place from the people they thought should and rightfully would help them, but sadly the Australian government led these people down and I'm okay that they won and the Australian authorities must pay out after this win, as mentioned earlier these people wanted "only help" not "money", sadly they haven't received the help they needed, now they receive the money for having been abused and sent in harms way the Australian government which have known that they will be abused on Manus Island all along. It's not about shareholders, it's about what's right and what's wrong. Let's hope that Australia wakes up form their right wing fantasies and sees it how the situation really is for people who need help, a country helps them and not the other way around, and lets face it, in reality no human being should be judged "illegal" because in the bigger scheme of things it's only someone with too much money and too much self interest who believes that a human being could be someone illegal.