Austin Texas - lots of fun

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by Sweet Willie, Mar 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of my nephews lives in Austin and we've been down to visit him a couple times, here are some of the things we've done while in Austin:

We went to the top of Mt Bonnell www.austinparks.org/apfweb/park.php?parkId=287 and took in the view, this was fantastic, we really enjoyed this, it was a relatively easy walk up from the parking area and the views are wonderful (don't just stay at the first viewpoint area, walk to both the left (for a view of the downtown) & the right for a view up the Colorado river (this was my favorite).

Went to Juan in a Million for breakfast, my migas were terrific, everyone else loved their breakfast as well. www.juaninamillion.com
    We were very lucky, as we went for breakfast on a Sunday and arrived just after 10am, there was parking right on the street, just to side of the restaurant and a table was ready w/in a minute. Shortly after there must have been 30 people outside waiting for a table, sure got lucky with the timing here.

In the afternoon, we walked around the SoCo (south Congress) area. One of my nephews got some great shirts from Allens Boots www.allensboots.com We also spent a bit of time at the Continental Club, what a great vibe and it was fun to see all the couples of all ages dancing two-step (I think) to the live music, this was soo much fun !!! www.continentalclub.com

Ended up dining at Magnolia Cafe, food was good but I think this would be a better breakfast place than lunch/dinner spot, especially seeing as it is a 24 hour place, but our dinner was good enough. http://themagnoliacafe.com

Unfortunately we only had one day in Austin and late that evening after getting back to the hotel from the SoCo area, one of our family had a medical issue that kept us at the hotel, so we never did go out and party on 4th or 6th. (but after our fun filled day, we will for sure make it back to Austin)

I've asked my nephew who now resides in Austin to look into boat rentals for this summer, it would be a hoot to be down on a weekday (when the river is not busy like I can only imagine the weekends are) and ski/cruise the various 'Lakes" that make up the river. BTW when we were on Mt Bonnel, looking down on the river, we saw some guy riding one of these http://www.airchair.com/ wow did it look fun !!

On a side note, Austin is not far from Lockhart where we ate at Smitty's Market BBQ http://www.smittysmarket.com
    The atmosphere of Smitty's is a carnivore's dream, large smoke pits filled with all different cuts of meat, with open fires just outside the pits, smoked being sucked into the pit.
    The BBQ was hit n miss with our group, the brisket was some of the driest we've ever had (such a bummer), the pork ribs were much better than they usually are in Texas, the links we thought were killer, the prime rib was great (can prime rib really ever be bad????)

Last night, having just saw an episode of Austin City Limits (great music show!!) www.austincitylimits.org , I was curious if the show was taped outdoors, Mrs Sweet Willie was quickly dismissive and turns out she is correct, the following is from their website: According to the mythology, Austin City Limits is taped on an Austin hillside above the city. In reality, the show was recorded for thirty-six years in KLRU television's Studio 6A located on the University of Texas campus in the Communications Building B. In 2011, the show moved to a new facility in the heart of Austin's downtown Second Street District at the Moody Theater.

Anyone been to a taping at Austin City Limits? How hard was it to get tickets?

--

sobore and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    I went to ACL with my wife (then girlfriend) two years ago. The only bands we were really interested in were Tegan & Sara and The Raconteurs. They put on quite a good show, and most of the other musicians were quite good too.

It's a really cool event to go to, just because of the gargantuan amount of people that congregate in one place for music. As far as tickets go, we got them pretty far in advance, so I'm not sure how tough it is to get them after they've been out for a while.

3. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also, for good measure, here are some photos from our recent trip up to Austin.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, there is a big difference in ACL and ACL Fest. Both are very popular. For ACL proper, tickets are tough. You have to sort of win them though their online blog. Seating is always limited and in a city that thrives on music, people are always looking to attend.

ACL Fest usually sells out but if you pay attention to the website, you can usually get tickets without having to go to the secondary market. I've been to multiple ACL Fests, including the very first one, and absolutely love it.

I've been thinking of moving to Austin since my first trip there in 2002. I might just make that a reality in about 1.5 years. :D

5. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ha----I'm in town about 4 times a year, and always say the same thing.

Tickets for ACL tapings had been tough to get --but the gorgeous new studio is huge, so things have loosened up some.
    I won't go to the festival any longer, unless I'm the "guest" of a performer or sponsor. Too crazy.

6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the feedback guys

JennB likes this.
  7. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to hear that the new theater is nice. Maybe I can actually make it to a taping now. I've wanted to attend one for years. :D

8. cptnkirk77
    Original Member

cptnkirk77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have enough time while in Austin, be sure and make a day trip West to the Hill Country. IMHO it's the most beautiful part of Texas, especially around Lake Travis.

9. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    My husband and I will be staying one night in Austin this weekend, at the InterContinental on Congress.

Can anyone recommend the best barbeque to try out that we can reach on foot from there (a few miles each way won't kill us)?

And, given that we'll be in town for about 20 hours -- are there any "don't miss" recommendations?

Appreciate any help you can provide!

10. lrluis

lrluis Silver Member

Status Points:
    gonna be in austin tomorrow for a day. it just so happens it's Cinco de Mayo. Any suggestions on places to go for an eight hour trip? thanks!

EDIT
    Thanks for suggesting Juan in a Million. I'm here now and struggling to finish the Don Juan taco. It's exceptional.

11. AUSsie

AUSsie Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a current Austinite, welcome! I'm biased, but I love this place.

If you love BBQ and have too much time on your hands, check out Franklin's BBQ, but get in line ~2 hours before opening or you won't get meat. (franklinbarbecue.com - voted best BBQ in the country) My personal favorite BBQ in Lockhart is Black's (I'm a big fan of smoked sausage and brisket, and unlike most BBQ places around here their sides are delicious as well). Not much good BBQ right downtown - Iron Works, Stubb's, Lambert's and Ruby's are the main ones down there. Ruby's is the best of that lot, but is north of the UT campus (too far to walk).

If you want a very Austin experience, watch a movie at any of the Alamo Drafthouse locations - voted best movie theater in the country. Their signature events are especially fun (Think Queen singalongs with free mustaches for all, Princess Bride quote-alongs, or watching Jaws while floating on the lake).

Food trucks are easy fun also. Recommend Gordough's (made to order donuts), Flip Happy Crepes, Coreanos (korean tacos!), Vert's (Doner Kebap), many others.

For entertainment, I *highly* recommend the improv scene in town - there are 5 theaters doing shows ranging from full-length improvised David Mamet plays to Who's Line is it Anyway-style games to musical versions of Firefly. www.austinimprov.com Easiest to get to if you're downtown is the Hideout Theatre, it's on 7th and Congress. Shows sell out most nights - get tickets on their website.

The Texas Capitol is fun, just for the sheer chutzpah (they had to make it bigger than the US Capitol, just because). Also free!

If live music is your thing, get you a copy of the Austin Chronicle (just hop by any coffee shop in town), and check out the massive music listings for that week. www.austinchronicle.com Check out the 'Best of Austin' list they publish every year - you cannot go wrong with anything on that list.

...Anything more specific you need, just ask!

12. lrluis

lrluis Silver Member

Status Points:
    Darn - I'm leaving in an hour and can't do anything suggested above. It's okay though , I'll be back, I like what I've seen so far. But why is it so humid??? Haha.