Austin Mega Do 2.5 - March 1-3, 2013

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by Mackieman, Jun 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    As promised, we're announcing the dates and a few details surrounding Austin Mega Do 2.5, scheduled for March 1 through March 3, 2013. For those of you playing the home game, you'll note that this is before SxSW comes to town, and (hopefully) well before the festering of summer sets in. We've got some great plans in the works and I hope you'll see fit to join us.

You may be asking, why is this a, "2.5" event? This event will be a little different than Austin Mega Do 1 and 2 from 2010 and 2012. Where those events were rather large in scale, often leaving Austin to enjoy more of the Central Texas region, the 2.5 event is almost entirely contained inside downtown Austin. It is also shorter in duration, not starting until Friday evening (with happy hour, of course) and ending early in the afternoon on Sunday. Also, as any 2012 attendee can tell you, we were a tad heavy on the smoked meat consumption. While there will most certainly be denatured proteins, we're focusing on downtown experiences and the dining choices will hopefully reflect that.

Another benefit of being focused in downtown is the lack of long bus rides to get anywhere. Downtown Austin is not terribly large, but it's not terribly small either, and the bus service can be sporadic. For almost all events, you'll be on your own for transportation. The availability of parking can be sparse at times, as it is in almost any city, so plan accordingly. We'll provide links to maps so you can estimate how long it will take to get from location to location.

As with years past, we're announcing these preliminary details quite early. As such, they are all subject to change. I'm in contract discussions with most of the venues and services we'll be featuring, but these things tend to drag out. As always, the website (http://www.ausmegado.com) is your source for the latest and greatest information. I'll do my best to keep the threads on MilePoint and FlyerTalk updated, but the website is the final word on the matter.

With those housekeeping items out of the way, here's the juicy details as we have them today:

Hotel: Austin is well known for its high room rates, and there is no better example of this than downtown Austin. But, being downtown, there are a large number of hotels to choose from. We're excited to announce a tentative agreement with the W Austin for a small block of rooms that will be available for Do attendees at a significantly discounted rate. Keep in mind that a standard room at this hotel regularly sells for over $600 per night. Concurrently, we're working to iron out an agreement with another hotel in the downtown area that will provide the additional room space needed and at a lower price point for those of you who would prefer to go that way. And as always, you're free to book any hotel you like. We'll post more details on this front as they develop.

Schedule Of Events: (subject to change)

Friday, March 1, 2013
    5:00PM - 6:30PM - Happy Hour/Pre-game at Serranos on Red River
    7:00PM - 9:00PM - Private dinner at Franklin BBQ (pre-paid)
    9:30PM - ?????? - Strolling Dirty 6th/Sauntering The Warehouse District (bars and drinking)

Saturday, March 2, 2013
    10:00AM - 12:30PM - Visit SoCo food trailers for brunch (a roach coach these ain't)
    1:00PM - 6:00PM - Tour two local Austin breweries (limited bus service available for purchase)
    7:00PM - 9:30PM - Dinner at Max's Wine Dive (food pre-paid)
    10:00PM - 11:00PM - Esther's Follies (pre-paid)
    11:00PM - ?????? - On your own.

Sunday, March 3, 2013
    10:00AM - 1:00PM - Private screening of Airplane! at the Alamo Drafthouse with brunch and cash bar (food pre-paid)

As we progress through the next couple of months, I'll provide more information concerning the details of each event and what you can expect as far as costs and sponsorships. I expect registration for this event to open somewhere in or around September 2012. Stay tuned to the website, this thread, and the Facebook group for more details as they're released.

We look forward to seeing everyone in March of 2013! [​IMG]

2. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    The one complaint my wife had as we were heading back to the airport on the monday following the last do, was that she felt like she didn't get to "see" Austin... so next year's schedule should be right up her alley, and it shouldn't be hard to convince her to come along!

Seeing as Franklin's was here favourite part of the trip... that should make the sell easier!

Thanks for organizing, and we'll see you in March if not sooner!

3. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    The W currently shows the rate being available as "Special Event" so I am guessing this is for the ramp-up to SXSW... so the $699 rate is indeed in effect.

Booked a tentative reservation at The Hyatt (sorry William!) across the river for $108 a night. Will gladly switch over to the W for a group rate in-between the two, but with Austin such a busy place at the beginning of March, getting a fall-back in my mind is important.

4. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm very interested.

5. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully with less tooth issues for you. But I'm always down for a bourbon run. ;)

6. Pa Kettle
    Original Member

Pa Kettle Gold Member

Status Points:
    Allegedly, the rate at the W will be $299, which is about 60% off the rate they're selling publicly. We are looking at some other options, but $108 for a hotel room in downtown Austin in March is crazy cheap.

IDGflygirl and Golden Toque like this.
  7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    $108 requires a common corporate discount code

8. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would definitely move across the lake/river/bridge with the bats at that rate! Love the W!

9. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quick update for our Sunday activities. I've executed the contract with the Drafthouse this afternoon so we're locked in for that event. :D

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Alamo Drafthouse, it is a state of the art movie theater where, instead of ordering concessions of questionable quality, a full menu of snacks, entrees, deserts, and beverages is available and served by waitstaff that comes to your seat. This is a concept that has caught on in various places around the US but it was pioneered right here in Austin.

We'll be showing Airplane! in all its corny glory, but I'm very happy to announce that this will be the Drafthouse Action Pack version of the movie. This is an interactive movie experience where the movie is presented as a quote-a-long, and yelling out your favorite lines is encouraged. There are also a few contests and movie-themed props to enjoy as well. Typical movie experience this ain't.

The entry cost for this event should be around $50. This includes admission to the theater, the quote-a-long version of the movie, a menu where you can select an appetizer, entree, and dessert of your choice, tax, and gratuity. All beverages, alcoholic or otherwise, are available and will be placed on your own individual tab. A preview of the menu is available by clicking here.

More news as we make it. :cool:

10. Pa Kettle
    Original Member

Pa Kettle Gold Member

Status Points:
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner. :cool:

SpecialK and From NYC like this.
  11. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is going to be the best AUS DO ever! I'm sooooooooo in!

12. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Booked points stay at W 3/1-3/3, with Hyatt stays on 2/28 and 3/3.

Dreamworks likes this.
  13. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am stoked! This looks like a lot of fun. Only thing that makes me sad is that it isn't sooner. :)

14. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
  15. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    oops. A few of my local friends are getting together on my birthday. shouldn't have posted that here. sorrrrrry!

16. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hotel Update!

The hotel situation in Austin is always interesting, especially from the full service properties in and around the downtown area. While most downtown hotels are dead on the weekend, this is almost never true for downtown Austin. The weekend of the 2013 event is no exception, but there is good news: we have two options to choose from.

As we've already announced, we're excited to offer the W Austin for the 2013 event at a rate of $299 per night, plus tax. This hotel carries rates north of $600 regularly, so this is an outstanding value for those who enjoy the W service and style. We're also very happy to announce that the DoubleTree Austin is extending a rate of $119 per night, plus tax, to all Do participants. Please note that this hotel is located approximately four miles from downtown. It is not difficult to access, but you will need a car or other transportation mechanism to get you to and from downtown.

Because these are courtesy blocks from these hotels, meaning that your organizers are not financially liable for the performance of the room block, the blocks are currently fairly small. As they fill up, we will work with the hotels to possibly expand them, but there is no guarantee that they'll be willing to add any additional rooms to our blocks. As such, if you plan to take advantage of these offers, please plan to do so on Friday, June 22 when the links to both booking sites will be posted here at the website.

If neither of those options works for you, there are many other hotel offerings in the downtown Austin area with which to choose from, including a Sheraton, Hyatt Regency, Hilton, and a smattering of Marriott value brands. There is a publicly available HHonors rate code available to all HHonors members that can earn the Hilton Garden Inn downtown for $159 as well. Do your research and I'm sure you'll come up with something.

But remember, the links to the Do hotels will be posted during the day on Friday, June 22, so stay tuned to this thread as well as the AUSMegaDo.Com site for the latest details.

iolaire and legalalien like this.
  17. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will the booking link be posted today or has the date changed?

Mackieman likes this.
  18. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah....so, not so much. We've signed and returned agreements, but the link for booking the DoubleTree did not come through yesterday, so it will likely be Monday. I'll make an update as soon as we know for sure.

19. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The DoubleTree folks have let us know that they expect to give us the booking link by Thursday of this week, so we'll try again for this Friday for posting both links. Apparently Hilton now handles group booking via carrier pigeon. :rolleyes:

20. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This looks amazing! What kind of cancellation policy will be in place for hotels? Mar13 is a bit of planning if its prepaid/nonref

21. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The W will allow cancellations until the day before the event which is nice. I haven't gotten the details from the DoubleTree yet but I expect something similar.

From NYC likes this.
  22. Pa Kettle
    Original Member

Pa Kettle Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cancellation policy for the Double Tree is: By 4 PM, 24 hours before the day of arrival or the first night of the stay will be charged.

23. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alrighty, the booking links for both the W Austin and the DoubleTree are available at the website. Enjoy. :cool:

iolaire likes this.
  24. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know how you do something so quirky that you're absolutely certain you're the only miserable fool out there who does things this way? Yeah, it's been an enlightening couple of weeks.

We've been working diligently to secure and execute contracts for our published events, blindly believing that we were the only poor souls who were trying to plan these events eight and nine months in advance. Clearly this is not so, as our event schedule and lineup has changed somewhat due to lack of availability at our selected venues. For those of you playing the home game, you'll remember that we had a similar situation with Blue Bell for the 2012 event.

But, much like the 2012 event, we've found suitable replacements that are equally attractive. Firstly, our private event at Franklin Barbeque has been pushed from Friday night to Saturday night. This occurred because, in order to secure a date, a large deposit is required. Until registration opens, we have no funds with which to do this. As such, I have, with the help of some locals, personally fronted these funds until registration opens and we now have a confirmed spot and executed contract. You're welcome. ;)

Additionally, Max's Wine Dive informed us on Monday that they were already completely full for the weekend in question, save for a single room that holds no more than 50 people. As such, we're happy to announce that we've secured a contract with Z Tejas on west 6th street to do a private dinner with cash bar. As any local will tell you, their margaritas will knock your hat in the creek, so plan accordingly.

Registration is expected to open in mid to late September. Please stay tuned as that time approaches for more details and updates.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  25. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    If there’s a way to contribute in advance to the funds you’re putting out, let me know. I’d be happy to get places secured. If it then turns out that I can’t make it, then you could always send it back to me once real funding has commenced.:)

IDGflygirl and Mackieman like this.