Attendants: Give us the expedited screening that pilots get

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by rwoman, Mar 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    USAToday: Attendants: Give us the expedited screening that pilots get

Makes sense to me!

:)

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    autolycus and rwoman like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are a very important part of our flying habit! :)

4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm always glad to see some friendly flight attendants and believe indeed, they are as important as the pilot and should have the same privileges afforded by this advanced screening program.:) This program is only for the US?

Well said!

On a side note: I wonder when they exchange human beings with service // security robots in the cabins!:eek: I believe Ryanair would be the first to have such "innovations" on board!:D

5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    With FR, isn't it whatever service they can try and charge for?? :)

autolycus, perryplatypus and uggboy like this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just think about it, make 1 Euro into the slot of the " flight attendant robot " and get some service from them at Ryanair, after this, the same " service robot " hands out a receipe to the passenger for all " the services received " during the Ryanair flight! He must pay for it, of course! Pronto, a lot of income for Ryanair!:eek:

perryplatypus and rwoman like this.
  7. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definately should have the same privilege

autolycus and rwoman like this.
  8. mlarso85
    Original Member

mlarso85 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The rational behind the expedited screening of pilots is if they want to bring down the airplane, they will because they have full control of where the airplane goes, much like EgyptAir 990 that was brought down by a pilot in 1990. Flight attendants do not hold this power, thus I feel that they should not get the same expedited screening afforded to pilots. Flight attendants in uniform do get modified screening from TSA, including leaving their shoes on and being able to carry liquids over 3.4 oz through the checkpoint and rightfully so. However, I don't believe they should be able to enter the sterile area of an airport with no checkpoint screening at all.

Just my $.02

KyRoamer and N965VJ like this.
  9. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    In April 2007 a United flight attendant was arrested in IAD with a concealed firearm. She had bypassed the checkpoint in ATL and taken it on her flight to IAD.
    In June 2008 an American Eagle ground employee in MIA was arrested after trying to transit the checkpoint with a firearm.
    In February 2008 a United ground employee was arrested in SFO for possessing a firearm at work. Police were tipped off by coworkers that had noticed the employee previously had been seen with a set of brass knuckles.
    In March 2009 a Delta ground employee in MCO was arrested after he bypassed security to get a duffel bag containing 13 handguns and a rifle aboard an aircraft.
    In June 2009 a US Airways gate agent in PHL was arrested for bypassing the checkpoint with a firearm and handing it off to someone that boarded a flight. Airline employees in PHL can still bypass the checkpoint.
    A passenger saw what happened? What about all the TSA's Behavior Detection VooDoo Practitioners? :eek::rolleyes:

In May 2010 a Delta pilot was arrested in ATL after trying to transit the checkpoint with a firearm.
    In May 2010 a suicidal JetBlue pilot was taken into custody in the crew room in BOS; he had a firearm.
    In June 2010 a Delta flight attendant was arrested while trying to transit the checkpoint with a firearm in IND. She had bypassed the checkpoint in ATL the day before with the firearm. Airline employees in ATL can still bypass the checkpoint.
    In May 2011 an American Airlines ground employee was caught after trying to take a loaded firearm through the checkpoint in SNA.
    In September 2011 a JetBlue pilot was arrested in LGA after trying to transit the checkpoint with a firearm.

Everyone should be subjected to the same common-sense screening. X-ray of belongings, walk through / hand held metal detector, Explosive Trace Detection / Explosive Trace Portal. Nothing more, nothing less.

10. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Add my penny and we are up to 3 cents!!! Pilots do not need explosives or weapons to bring down a plane.