Attempting to Figure out the Credit Bureau Thing

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by merice107, Nov 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I got my free annual credit report from each of the three bureaus and I am trying to figure out a couple of things. I got most of my cards figured out as to which bureau was pulled. I live in Chicago (the burbs) and here's how it worked out.
    • Capitol One Visa: 2/15/2011 (pre points hobby): Equifax/ Trans Union/ Experian
    • Chase British Airways Visa: 6/4/2012: Trans Union
    • Citi AAdvantage 2 browser trick MasterCard and Amex (I did the 40,000 each for $1,000 min. spend): 6/21/2012: Equifax
    • SPG Amex: 8/22/2012: Experian
    • Barclay's U.S. Air: 8/22/2012: Trans Union
    • Amex HHonors (65,000): 11/23/2012: Experian
    I'm not sure about the other two cards I did on 11/23/2012. I did the Chase United MileagePlus Visa and the Chase Ink Bold. I have one inquiry on my Trans Union report and another on my Experian. Is there any way to tell which card was for which bureau?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not that I am aware of when it's the same bank. My Ink card pulled Experian so I would say the UA card was TU. But it can vary and be random at times. I've never had Chase pull Equifax though.

jbcarioca and merice107 like this.
  3. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is what I was thinking because my other personal Chase card was the British Airways Visa back in June and that pulled Trans Union. So maybe Trans Union for personal cards and Experian for business??? Seems to make sense.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    for me ... California it was reverse.

Personal = EQ
    Bus = TU

malikguy, jbcarioca and merice107 like this.
  5. flydonkey

flydonkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure I understand why you don't know which bureaus were used by Chase for the MP and Ink card - doesn't each credit bureau's report list the inquiries?

If not, or for planning purpose for future credit card applications, go to creditboards.com, click on the "credit pulls" tab, and enter the bank (Chase) & state (IL). You'll get a list of recently reported credit pulls from Chase in the state - for personal cards, it looks like Transunion is most commonly used, so the Ink was probably Experian.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    They were just listed as "Chase Bank."

I checked that but it seemed different for a lot of people in Illinois. Glad you got something similar to what I was thinking. Thanks!

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    You would have only suffered one pull from those three. After the credit card is issued, the three credit report agencies are notified that you have a new card.

ETA: Or so I thought. :oops: Paddle downstream in this thread...three pulls for a Cap One card could happen. :eek:

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Not really. Capitol One has been known to pull credit reports from all three. So three pulls for one credit card.

9. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    :eek: Thanks for correcting me. I didn't know that. :oops: Jett Rink has neva been a Cap One customah, had I been, I would have known what you're saying. I was just going by my experience with other banks.

I'll edit my post re just one pull.

10. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 that's happened to me before, Now i know to stay away from C1 ... besides their cards reward structure ain't the best out there

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ditto. It's amazing what you learn when you go line-by-line through your credit report. That $11 monthly fee is worth it, IMO, especially when I have a common American name, and have had incorrect collections information show on my report (twice this year!)

jbcarioca and edekba like this.
  12. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea! It was a lot of information. I'm glad I took the time to look through it all. Now on to looking over my wife's. Since I ave been getting more and more in to this, I want to make sure I don't create a situation that hurts me in the future.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The only time I will really look into a Capitol One card is when they have a "miles match" type promotion where the rewards are worth the additional pull.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I looked up the "miles match" promotion... looks pretty cool. Although, it was pointed out on the thread I read as well that even if you have the max 100,000 miles plus the 10,000 mile bonus for 110,000 miles signup, with three hard pulls for three separate cards you could get 150,000+ in miles as opposed to three hard pulls for 110,000. Still cool though.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    You gotta keep in mind though C1's miles are very versatile. Any travel exp ... any airlines/hotel/train ticket/etc

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah. So those miles don't then transfer to the airline themselves, but instead are their own point system? You can't transfer them like UR points or MR points?

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    no. each "mile" is $.01.

So for 3 credit card pulls and if you get the max match thing you get $1100.00 worth of "miles" that you can credit your statement with. That might not be much, but it can be used for everything from train tickets, cruise fares, etc etc

18. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    $366 per inquiry, not bad, but if you didn't get approved, it wouldn't be fun. Nobody pulls Equifax for me, and barely anyone pulls Transunion. In fact, one card pulled EQ as a secondary pull and I just let it go since I have only that 1 in the past 2 years.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got my card today an on the letter it said that they used Trans Union. So Trans Union must be what chase uses in my area for personal cards.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    merice107 and jbcarioca like this.
  21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I quite like creditboards. Most of the members are people with bad credit rebuilding their credit, but the information is very comprehensive and usually pretty accurate IME. I'm there quite often.

merice107 and miles and smiles like this.
  22. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I noticed that it was mainly people doing credit repair, and it seemed rather time consuming to scour through the site to find something relevant to me. Is there a trick to navigating through those weeds that I am unaware of? What are the main benefits of that site to people like us without unsecured debt and who have 760+ scores?

23. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    See what CRA the banks pull your credit from ;)

miles and smiles and jbcarioca like this.
  24. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got that from looking at my recent inquiries on my report. I have applied to pretty much every major credit card company now in the last 12 months (Discover and US Bank are the only exceptions I believe), so I know which ones are being pulled. Is that the only benefit, or does it vary by the card you're applying for AND the bank? Like, would the CRA for the Hilton AmEx be the same as the SPG AmEx?

miles and smiles and jbcarioca like this.
  25. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed ... different products sometimes pulls different CRA depending upon what State you're in for example.

For me as an example. (California)
    CSP = EX
    Ink = TU
    SW = EX
    UA = EQ