Attempting to book free one-ways for two adults after round-trips with kids

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Ed Chandler, Nov 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's my dilemma ...

I'm definitely going to book round-trips to Germany for me, my wife, and my two step-kids. We'd depart from, and return to, ORD. On the tail end of that, I would like to tack on a "free" (actually something like 2500 miles) one-way to Hawaii ... but just for me and the wife.

I don't think I can book four people on one reservation, two of whom have an additional segment on the end, ... can I?

The other way to go would be to book two reservations: one for the kids terminating in ORD, and one for us with the extra segment. They'll be 16 and 17 at the time, and it appears that United's policy will allow them to travel "as adults" if we want them to (i.e. not "unaccompanied minors"). That may be the way to go, but if we're on different reservations, what happens if something goes pear-shaped along the way?

Any insight would be appreciated.

MX likes this.
  2. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you can chance it and put the kids on a separate PNR. Should be safe enough. However, if your anxiety over-rules that, then just spend the extra miles to book everyone to Hawaii. That being the last segment, anybody will be free to fly it or skip it as they wish.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    MX likes this.