Atlantis sued over 'mandatory' housekeeping, utility fees

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by uggboy, Sep 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Atlantis sued over 'mandatory' housekeeping, utility fees:D

A class-action lawsuit accuses Kerzner International of engaging in "unfair and deceptive practices" by charging certain fees to guests at its Atlantis resort in the Bahamas, the local Tribune Business reports.
    The suit, filed by Jennifer Costa on June 30, seeks to represent guests who stayed at the Atlantis resort, including The Cove and The Reef, from March 28, 2007 onward. The suit was filed in U.S. District Court in Florida.

Suit: 'Housekeeping fee' is deceptive
    At the heart of the Atlantis suit is the "mandatory housekeeping gratuity and utility service fee" that Atlantis guests pay, Tribune Business reports.
    Costa claims the "mandatory fee" is deceptive because Kerzner International doesn't give all of it to either housekeeping staff or to cover utility fees. The suit says:

"By labeling the gratuity and utility charge something that it is not, Kerzner is deceiving consumers into paying more for their hotel room than they bargained."

http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/p...uide+to+the+lodging+landscape+-+USATODAY.com)

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    This will definitely be interesting to watch. I have no idea how Bahamas law works- but the idea of someone covering this is wonderful- what if they go after fuel surcharges next ??

uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not! Who says we must do everything they want?

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good. Over the years, I've been hit by mandatory resort fees, housekeeping fees (once 25 cents per day in Puerto Rico but generally much more), baggage handling service charges ($6 per person in Vegas but there was no bellperson in sight when I arrived), in-room safe fees (whether used or not), energy surcharges, hotel airport shuttle fees (whether used or not), AC fees (Italy!), heating fees, credit card fees, visa sponsorship fees ($20 in Russia, when the hotel never sent documents for my visa and I had to pay a visa service instead), ecology/green fees, concierge service fees (for the incompetent sort who collects kickbacks anyway), various charity donations, etc. None of these were disclosed until check out, after I had already tipped for some of these services as appropriate.