Atlanta Dining

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by mickc, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mickc
    Original Member

mickc Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm on a long term project commuting to Atlanta on a weekly basis and looking for dining suggestions in the Sandy Springs area.

I can recommend a one place in particular - even though it is not on the AA dining program it is a great option for variety and 'small plates'. The sushi is fresh and as an alternative they have a variety of small tapas like dishes - but not limited to traditional tapas - think fresh spinach salad, baby steak, chicken and much more. Hard enough to avoid putting on weight living in a hotel so I do appreciate this place
    http://bluegrottotapas.com

2. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of my favorite places to dine in Atlanta is Prime, located upstairs inside the northeast corner of Lenox Mall. It is a short drive south on Georgia State Highway 400 from Sandy Springs.

Their quality and professional service are excellent and consistent, their prices vary but are usually reasonable, and their filet mignon can hold its own against some of the best in town. Although I almost always order the filet mignon, any food that I have ever ordered there has been excellent, and I have never left the restaurant dissatisfied. They have a wide variety of food, including sushi and some terrific desserts. It is the type of place where you can come in neat casual attire such as jeans and a polo shirt, or you can dress up in formal wear. Each table has a white tablecloth. The water glass is never empty. They even have a bar area where one can order a drink while waiting for a seat.

I was introduced to that restaurant by a fellow frequent flier, and I have been introducing more and more frequent fliers to that restaurant over the years. I have personally been responsible for introducing at least 200 people to Prime, and quite a few of them have become repeat customers.

No one, to my knowledge, has been disappointed. I will vouch for Prime any day.

3. shane
    Original Member

shane Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the Sandy Springs area I highly recommend the Brooklyn Cafe, 5 Seasons Brewing Company, and if you're wanting a couple pints with your meal, The Ship & Anchor.

If you're willing to drive a bit (and believe you me, it's worth the drive) Rathbun's is my favorite restaurant in the city.

4. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you venture downtown, Mary Mac's Tea Room on Ponce de Leon offers traditional soul food. Southern food (meat 'n 3) that is a real treat. You have to try the corn bread and pot liquor. Prices are reasonable and you will have to go back!

PtsHawg likes this.
  5. PtsHawg
    Original Member

PtsHawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Downtown there's the Vortex which you may want to try just for the "experience" of it all. They're big on burgers... and they have some very big burgers indeed.

flyingdawg and 2soonold like this.
  6. mickc
    Original Member

mickc Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the recommendations - I look forward to trying Rathbun's - from a quick read of the menu i can see a trip to Krog St in my near future.

shane likes this.
  7. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although the restaurant can get rather noisy and crowded, and it is possible to be seated near a smoking section, I will second this recommendation, as I am usually there once per month.

The ownership has changed recently and they intend to further improve their menu and the dining experience...

diver90 likes this.
  8. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    ssullivan and shane like this.
  9. shane
    Original Member

shane Silver Member

Status Points:
    I second this. Flip Burger is awesome. Now that we're outside Sandy Springs, the gloves are off:

Antico is the best Pizza I've ever had. It was also voted the best pizza in the US by a high-profile Italian Authority
    Yeah! Burger and Farm Burger are two other excellent burger joints of the Farm to Table variety.
    Bacchanalia is absolutely stupid good fine dining
    Fox Brothers is great Texas Style BBQ with great specials
    Rathbun Steak is a steak house almost as good as Rathbuns (which is a huge compliment)

I could go on and on. Atlanta may be boring and ugly but it has more than its fair share of great restaurants.

2soonold, Tracy and diver90 like this.
  10. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree completely. Been there a few times and every meal was a slam dunk winner. Some folks don't care for the decor but I was too busy enjoying the food and MrsDiver90's company to care all that much about that.

ssullivan likes this.
  11. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a native New Yorker who lives in the Atlanta area, take the following advice very seriously:

About a year ago, two brothers started a new pizzeria in Kennesaw, Georgia called Peace, Love and Pizza, just northeast of Interstate 75 off the Wade Green Road exit — and the pizza is every bit as good as a pie from a Brooklyn pizzeria. This place only has three tables, as it is designed more for carry-out and delivery.

Just today for lunch, I purchased a 1-topping 18" pie for $10.59, including tax. Considering that Papa John’s and Pizza Hut occasionally advertising their large pizzas for exactly the same price but are considerably smaller in size and not nearly as good — in fact, there is simply no comparison — it is an amazing deal.

I highly recommend this place. If you are ever in the Kennesaw area — or in Marietta, Woodstock, Acworth or even Atlanta — and crave for pizza, this is absolutely the place to go!

12. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll third this suggestion. Flip was one of our favorite regular places when we lived in Atlanta, and the menu changes just enough to keep some regular favorites that are always available, but to also always showcase something new and interesting with each repeat visit. The burgers, sides, and shakes are all very good, and worth a trip down into the city.

Other favorites of ours include Tierra, Pura Vida, and Babette's. None of those are out in the burbs, but all are worth a trip into the city. And, if you do hit up The Vortex, skip the downtown location on Peachtree and go for the original in Little Five Points on Moreland. It's still one of the best burgers you'll get anywhere (Flip, above, excels for creative burgers, Vortex excels at a good basic oversized burger) and the atmosphere at the Little Five Points location is truly unique.