Atlanta Dining (Downtown)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by garyst16, Mar 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apologies if there is already a thread on this, searching from my mobile and wasn't able to find one....

I will be attending a seminar in Atlanta this week at the Hyatt on Peachtree downtown. Can anyone recommend some good restaurants? Looking for something other than the chain fare...something local to Atlanta maybe?

autolycus likes this.
  2. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will you have a car? If no, are you ok with taking cabs or MARTA and hiking a bit? I don't eat as far downtown as the Hyatt too often, even though I work just a few blocks away, but will list several good local options that are good enough to be worth a little effort to get there if you can.

I've heard that Ted's Montana Grill is excellent and is walkable. It's owned by Ted Turner and serves a variety of bison/buffalo and other grilled or roasted food. There are several locations, but it's not really a chain in the way you mean, I think.

Mary Mac's Tea Room is the standard southern fare and is enjoyed by locals and tourists alike. Not walkable, but a pretty short ride away.

The Vortex has the best burgers in town, IMO. The midtown location is a relatively short walk from the Midtown MARTA station or would be a fairly short drive straight up Peachtree. The Little Five Points location has more character but is smaller and a further trip from where you're staying.

One of my favorite's that somewhat unknown is Las Palmeras. It's truly authentic cuban and is as local as you get. It's attached to an old neighborhood grocery that's smack in the middle of a lovely residential part of Midtown.

For breakfast or brunch, if you have time before the flight, consider going to a Flying Biscuit. It's becoming a "chain" of sorts, but is still a small local/semi-regional chain, and every location I've been to has had excellent food.

If you want chicken and waffles--which is really more of a Harlem soul food thing than a southern soul food thing, and you might be able to get to Roscoe's anyway--Gladys Knight has a place not too far from the Hyatt. I can't attest to the quality, but I've heard good things and never bad.

garyst16 likes this.
  3. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all of the recommendations... I do have a car and will definitely check out some of these!