ATL-ORD 1450 miles

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Gargoyle, Apr 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    hmm, hope I get MQM's for actual flight miles instead of the standard 606 miles.

A WX last night put us into ATL at midnight, brief hotel sleep, then up at 4:45 to try to catch the first flight to ORD at 7:25. By 11 that went WX, because it was an DC9-50 with a range of 731 miles, and the only route the FAA was allowing was to circle way south and west around the storm front. We managed to jump onto an MD-88 with more than twice that range, and got the non rev seats (row 36, between the engines and the lav, no window). Great crew, nice flight (I like turbulence, it has a rock-a-bye baby effect, helped me sleep). We circled over Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Branson, Missouri on our way to ORD, turning a one and a half our flight into a 3:08 flight.

Glad we made it home, no complaints, but shouldn't we get MQM's for the actual miles flown?
    :p

legalalien, uggboy and icurhere2 like this.
  2. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you were a UA flyer, you could file a class action lawsuit ;)

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    legalalien, uggboy and icurhere2 like this.
  4. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    A: Let me guess. Jeff will not be generous. Actually you didn't check your ticket and it's a "nonpublished" fare accruing at 25% MQM.

And you mean, you don't mind the light-to-moderate turbulence you encountered.

No sane person enjoys anything worse than moderate and I am sure you didn't encounter such...else, you'd be posting about the horror and not the missing MQM ;)

DiverDave likes this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've been accused of many things, but being sane isn't one of them.

At Disney World and Great America you have to pay a lot for the same experience that you get as a free enhancement benefit with DL turbulence.

uggboy and miles and smiles like this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not turbulence on DL. They call it rough air.

Davescj and DiverDave like this.
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    and Woodford is the air of the dog that bit you.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  8. kleveringham

kleveringham Member

Status Points:
    We did make it into ORD, through a lot of rough air, the night of the big storm - six hours late, having been largely abandoned by the entire Delta "family" since our flight had departed the gate, and then returned. This causes zero information to be available since we show up as either boarding or departed for several hours after the return. However, most ORD flights were cancelled outbound the following day, including ours to JFK. In spite of the nice email assuring priority rebooking; nothing of the kind took place and without multiple phone calls and pressure we would probably still be in Chicago. Platinum agent told us this is a regular happening on the "new system". Anybody else experienced this?

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. a7800

a7800 Active Member

Status Points:
    DC9-50 with a range of 730 miles??

That seems way too low. I thought the range was more that twice that. Perhaps someone more knowledgable then me has more information.

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    They handled me well at SLC and ATL- gate agents and cockpit crew were proactive in calling in, getting updates, and sharing the info with us. We did get automatically protected when the SLC-ORD flight was canceled; as to the ATL-ORD, we jumped on a different flight before our initial flight was canceled, so no rebooking would have occurred there. I've slipped down to measly gold this year, so as a PM you should have rec'd better treatment, earlier rebooking, than I did.

Our first ATL flight did push back, and spent an hour on the tarmac before returning, but we didn't feel abandoned- that was due to the communication from the pilot and gate agent. Sounds like in your case, those people didn't put out the simple effort needed.

I did handle things directly at the sky club and with gate agents, not over the phone.

ORD was especially impacted, both because it was in the eye of the storm and because of the AA computer glitch a day or two earlier, with had everyone backed up there. (AA would have pushed some pax over to DL flights, and airport operations were a mess).

I'm basing the range numbers on Delta's website. As we all know, if it's on Delta's website it has to be true. :p

11. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct - it has to be true - unless it's not. :eek:

David

Gargoyle likes this.