Athens+ mediterranean food and 1 short weekend

Discussion in 'Europe' started by k2o, Mar 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm heading to Athens this weekend and am looking for dining ideas. I'm sure there will be endless places but is there ONE I shouldn't miss? I'll be staying at the Hotel Grande Bretagne at least one night and from the reviews I've read I shouldn't miss the Roof Lounge for cocktails and the view. I probably won't have dinner there as I want to keep the $$ down. I love to find places the locals like to frequent.
    Do you have a favorite place to suggest? Perhaps with melt- in- your- mouth calamari?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't remember names, but there are some upscale trendy restaurants (very modern, lighter, and sophisticated Greek/Mediterranean food) and bars in some nice residential areas near the center of the city where I've been taken by locals in the know. If you want touristic traditional, there are tons of little restaurants in the Plaka under the Acropolis. Another idea is to do a short day trip to the port of Piraeus (spelling?) for a fish meal.

k2o likes this.
  3. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tips. I like the idea of going to the port as that is something I haven't read about in the tourist books.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    MikeMpls organized a small Athens DO last December. I know they were thinking about doing a day trip to the port, so he should be able to give you more information and suggestions.

k2o likes this.
  5. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks MSPeconomist (wow, that handle is a HANDLE! ;))