At the window upgrades

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by techguru, Mar 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed fewer and fewer of my upgrades at occur at the window. I travel MSN-XXX-SFO a lot, and lately the XXX-SFO legs have had V=0 at the window unless its a redeye. I travel off peak, and during weekends usually to make the upgrade, but the window = 0 is making me rethink this / wonder about monetization. Thoughts?

2. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been getting upgrades at the window about 95% of the time including this coming Monday.

3. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    50 - 50 for me. I had a really weird one the other day. I cleared the upgrade and was assigned seat 3A. Then I checked back and I was in 2C but it stated "Zone 4". That was truly weird. That flight ended up massively delayed and I rebooked so I never found out if it was truly Zone 4.

Anyone else ever seen that?

4. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps its the SFO component but I was 95 percent at the window prior.

5. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My SFO upgrades usually do not clear at the window. Not an easy place.. and I am platinum.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  6. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of my last three eligible segments, all this week, 2 cleared at the window and the last cleared about 12 hours in advance. Two of those were LGA-DTW and DTW-LGA, so I was pretty impressed for being a GM. Then again, it's still March.

7. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have found it strange that sometimes my UG do not clear at the window on segments that are not elite heavy. For instance, recently a flight from BOS-DCA I cleared 12 hours in advance as a GM and on the flight I was the only one in FC!

8. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least you cleared! Nice to have the cabin to yourself

brfort likes this.
  9. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, i was just surprised i thought I would not clear with it being so late.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  10. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just cleared 6 days out on SFO-MSN return...very odd...

11. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if these 12-hour advance clearings are a result of Delta's efforts to monetize first class by upselling other coach passengers to it at time of booking? Your case is extraordinary though. One would have thought they had some V inventory to spare in an empty FC cabin.

techguru likes this.
  12. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two more upgrades cleared for Friday.

techguru likes this.
  13. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, but I suspect you are right, I was asked to upsell when I booked for 400 bucks.

techguru likes this.
  14. I've yet to clear at the window, but thanks to FT, as an FO I never expect to. But I am 5 of 7 so far, including an IROPS

techguru and DeltaExpert like this.
  15. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thats great for Silver

techguru likes this.
  16. Thanks. I think it's because my home airport is BIL.not elite heavy.

techguru and DeltaExpert like this.
  17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I would never have found out. With a FC seat, I would ignore the zone and just either board with FC if you're at the gate early enough or otherwise use the SkyPriority lane. If the GA notices "zone 4" on the boarding pass, point out that you're a whatever level Medallion travelling in FC. End of story.

techguru likes this.
  18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not surprising. Silvers can do very well on upgrades if they fly on elite-light nonbusiness routes or fly at elite-light nonbusiness times and days. Of course, it's nicer to get the upgrade in advance and be able to select your FC seat on the computer, but upgrade ratios in excess of 75% are not unheard of for Silvers.

Of course, other Silvers have no choice but to fly on routes and at times where upgrades are extremely tough for them, so you should be sure to thank the FF gods every time you pass through the BIL airport.

techguru, Mtjsb and brfort like this.
  19. I do a little dance. And, going to LGA next week, I fully expect to be 50/52 on the UG list. :rolleyes:

techguru likes this.
  20. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yields and loads are high. In such an environment, one would expect DL to keep inventory more tightly controlled.

I also have to ask... Who cares? I've never understood the obsession with clearing at the window. As long as I clear, I'm happy, and it can come as late as boarding, for all I care.

techguru likes this.
  21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of us prefer to know in advance in order to be able better to make plans. For example, if I know I'll be in FC on some flights, I won't make a dinner reservation for late the evening I arrive or I won't attempt to eat at the airport or bring a snack with me for the flight. I also don't drink wine in the SC before a FC flight because the wine on board is usually slightly better than what is available in the SC. Finally, if I'm not going to be in FC, I want to bring my own full water bottle on board with me.

techguru likes this.
  22. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the food issue is the key -- if I know I'm getting something I won't plan to bring or eat afterwards. Spring break I cleared into F early because I think they were in an oversell situation, but otherwise at the window has been spotty at best. I'm 50/50 this year for upgrades as a Diamond on mostly M,H, and some Q fares. I don't think I'll trade airlines yet, but I think the monetization strategy might be in effect; pure speculation but I keep on getting the buy up to first for x more offers now. Pretty tempting when M is 670 each way and P is 770 (I think I'll buy some P fares on flights where I know I really want the leg room). I guess that is the whole strategy...