AT&T will start unlocking some iPhones

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by autolycus, Apr 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    rwoman, mht_flyer, USAF_Pride and 2 others like this.
  2. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    so they wont unlock the new iphones then.....?

3. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't you buy the new iPhones unlocked (almost) everywhere in the world now? This is mostly for those who're past their contracts.

autolycus likes this.
  4. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Besides that you can buy it from Apple factory unlocked, it seems like they will unlock it if you buy it outside of a contract -- it's going to cost you a lot more than $200 though.

5. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    They will unlock any iPhone that is not subject to a current contract. So if you pay full retail for the phone or pay the early termination fee, then they will unlock the phone for you. An old phone that was upgraded and is therefore no longer subject to the contract is probably the most common situation. The article includes this quote from AT&T:

6. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I put in my requests to get a couple old iPhones unlocked a couple nights ago. The chat agent said it would probably take a week to process. Seems like some other folks are having more instant gratification according to posts on other forums, though I hope to be unlocked by early next week at the latest.

autolycus likes this.
  7. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know the unlocked iPhone 4S 16GB is $649. Which is out of a lot of people's price range.

autolycus likes this.
  8. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Success for me :D

Long story short, I have been an AT&T customer since 1998 and after my first "purchased phone" and contract expired after my first 2 years, I have been out of contract ever since. Well, that was until this past November when I was offered an upgrade to a free iPhone 3gs if I "upgraded" to a two year contract.

I called AT&T customer service on Sunday, 4/8 and was given a very emphatic "NO" unless I paid an early termination fee as I didn't meet the requirements of either being out of contract or having paid an early termination fee but being the good frequent traveler that I am ;), I waited until Monday and called back ;)

The rep was very sympathetic as I said had I waited until now to upgrade, I could have had the phone unlocked I and where she did not have the authority to unlock my phone, did set up a case number and told me to wait about a week to see what the disposition was.

Yesterday afternoon (4/12), I rec'd an e-mail from AT&T that my phone was approved to be unlocked and to follow the instructions to back-up and restore and after I did that, iTunes said my phone is unlocked* :D

*now I just have to find a non-AT&T sim card to test it ;)

TheTravelAbstract and autolycus like this.
  9. TheTravelAbstract

Status Points:
    Wow, that is awesome. I just got an iPhone 4S and need it unlocked. I will try to do the same as you.

Did you just call 611 on your phone and talk to a rep there?

Keep me posted on if other SIM cards work.

10. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I called 611 from my cell both times and as soon as I can find someone who has a non-AT&T sim for me to "borrow" ;), I'll report back with an update :)

John777 likes this.
  11. TheTravelAbstract

Status Points:
    which department did you connect with? I am trying to do the same thing.

12. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    After dialing 611, iirc it was the tech support option as that was the only one that made sense tho I could have also hit 0 as well for a cust svs rep

TheTravelAbstract likes this.
  13. TheTravelAbstract

Status Points:
    call today but got the run around and an offer to unlock my old iPhone 3GS.

Told them I was out of contract for 6 months and wanted to unlock because of travel habits.

No go.

Call again Monday? Yup.

14. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got the email last night that both of my requests have been fulfilled. Restored and both phones got the unlocked screen in iTunes.

FWIW For those having trouble, I used the technical support live chat and had no problems. Then again I am a customer in good standing and was clearly following the rules about which phones they would be willing to unlock.

goalie likes this.
  15. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I never got the emails, but my 3gs and 4 are now unlocked after doing a restore in itunes

goalie likes this.
  16. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to report back so late but I was able to use a friend's T-Mobile sim card a few hours ago ^. It took about 2-3 minutes for the phone to show T-Mobile as the carrier and I successfully made and received a call. I did not check internet as time was limited but for me, it's all about using the phone as a phone overseas ;).

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  18. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible to use 3G on T-Mobile now, or is it still restricted to EDGE?

19. jeffrey930

jeffrey930 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still EDGE only! It sucks! Lol...

20. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not that it is restricted to EDGE, it's that it is not compatible. T-Mobile operates its 3G frequency on a different wavelength that the iPhone does not support.

21. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Typically Canadians love to shop in the United States cause the prices are lower and our loonie at parity with the dollar..... But when it comes to iPhones, the Canadian version sold at Apple Store are all unlocked!

In the US, I use a T-Mobile sim card

USAF_Pride likes this.
  22. susimaru

susimaru Member

Status Points:
    Nice information its really glad information for those who are in need to unlock their iphone from USA AT&T network lock .I am here to share my experience about how do i unlocked my iphone from network lock .I unlocked my iphone from USA AT&T network using Unlock-Zone.com here they unlocked my iphone using remote unlocking service.