AT&T to buy T-Mobile US operations

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by milepig, Mar 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. milepig
    Original Member

milepig Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are reports everywhere that AT&T is buying T-Mobil's US operations. I'm personally bummed, as I despise AT&T.

DonV.Smith and jbcarioca like this.
  2. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Saw this today on the news. This combination makes perfect sense as both carriers use GSM technology here in the US. I have Verizon (due to having a company-paid cell phone), but as a T-Mobile soon-to-be AT&T customer...I would wonder how far AT&T will go to honor current T-Mobile plans. The T-Mobile plans have historically been significantly less expensive than AT&T. My guess is that AT&T will allow T-Mobile customers to keep their plans until they need to make a change for any reason...then they'd go to AT&T's prevailing plan at that time. This will definitely be interesting to watch!

4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    They would have announced the deal sooner, but they couldn't come to a final price because of the calls being dropped on AT&T's network.

5. I hope something turns good out of this merger for current AT&T customers. More towers for AT&T and lesser dropped call's.

6. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I worry about the effect of less competition. I've been with AT&T for the past decade and had no plans to switch to T-Mobile, but it was comforting to know that I could. Now, for us GSM users, AT&T will be the only game in town.

DonV.Smith, jbcarioca and Clocktower like this.
  7. Mul
    Original Member

Mul Silver Member

Status Points:
    A bummer.. this will make AT&T the only GSM provider in the US.

DonV.Smith, jbcarioca and bakedpatato like this.
  8. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Our company is tied to T-mobile for service. This means an iPhone could be in my future....but how long????

9. TRHiker

TRHiker Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a relatively satisfied T-mobile customer, I hope the Justice Department and other regulators take a loooooong time and review every iota of the deal and the effects of decreased competition surely to result.

10. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed guys...RIP Voicestream/T-mobile....just don't touch my plans AT&T. I like paying $90+tax for 3 lines and 2 unlimited data plans

11. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's interesting not just because there will only be three carriers. What's really interesting is that AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint will each have phones which are incompatible with any other carrier.

12. DLNYC
    Original Member

DLNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow. That takes me back.

13. Mul
    Original Member

Mul Silver Member

Status Points:
    DonV.Smith and Wurm like this.
  14. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    And that right there is what prompted me to write to my Congress-critters and ask them to get involved. And of course I'll be watching for the public comment period with the DOJ and FCC. AT&T has been heavy handed with rooters where T-Mobile has just let it go. Additionally, there is no reason other than to purge the rooters that they have to force a switch out.

DonV.Smith and bakedpatato like this.
  15. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Decreased competition? It is total obliteration of competition!

DonV.Smith and bakedpatato like this.
  16. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    DonV.Smith likes this.
  17. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, my family's been with T-mobile since the Voicestream era :D
    Then again, we've also been with AT&T since it was called Pacific Bell Mobility...we swiftly ditched them a little after the iPhone came out.
    In terms of GSM carriers yes. Not unless you buy a BB Storm or some other CDMA phone with a GSM radio....
    I'm afraid the DOJ and the FCC will approve this. They let Sirus and XM merge, making them a monopoly on satellite radio, because standard FM radio is much stronger than Sirus XM.
    And lets not forget UA-CO,DL-NW,WN-FL...
    ...because AT&T is going to use T-Mobile's 3G bands to roll out a true 4G network based on LTE
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/21/confirmed-atandt-wants-to-use-t-mobiles-aws-spectrum-for-lte-bui/

DonV.Smith likes this.
  18. Mul
    Original Member

Mul Silver Member

Status Points:
    DonV.Smith likes this.
  19. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    AWS is used by Bell over in Canada but otherwise no.

DonV.Smith likes this.
  20. opushomes
    Original Member

opushomes Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is unfortunate that this is happening.

We started with AT&T when they took over another company many years ago. Their coverage and call quality was abysmal so we went to Verizon (which was quite good, but CDMA). About 7years ago, we switched to T-mobile since they were GSM and would provide unlocking codes. Now it looks like full circle and the need to find a new carrier which is becoming a vanishing breed.

Verizon may be solution but they are more expensive than T-mobile. We have sufficient unlocked phones for international travel so this is no longer an issue.

DonV.Smith likes this.
  21. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    What I love about T-mobile is that. As long as your contract is current, I think within 9 months of a contracted phone purchase, you can ask for it to be unlocked. AT&T wouldn't unlock my phones until my 2 years was over...plus the darn tech support guy didn't know what "unlock my phone" meant :rolleyes::mad::rolleyes:

DonV.Smith likes this.
  22. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too. I use T-mobile prepaid for the US, and AT&T will probably kill the plan. T-mobile was the only decent prepaid plan for occasional visitors, that I could find, anyway. I am quite bummed out about this, and the press suggests it will pass antitrust muster easily.:(

DonV.Smith likes this.
  23. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think my first carrier was something like 'Cellular One' here in NYC. Then they changed their name to Voicestream.

I remember the plan was $59.95/month for 30 minutes not counting long distance or roaming outside of NYC. Somehow a client got my cellular number and just wanted to chat. What she didn't know was that I was driving from NYC to Ann Arbor through Ontario. After 15 minutes I finally had to tell her that our talk about nothing had probably already cost me $60 and that we should talk later.

DonV.Smith likes this.
  24. milepig
    Original Member

milepig Silver Member

Status Points:
    When Mrs. Milepig recently upgraded to a G2 the people at the Tmo store got a good laugh when they popped out her SIM and it still said "Voicestream" on it. They politely suggested it was time for a new one.

DonV.Smith likes this.
  25. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow...that's quite an achievement! The newer sims use less power on that note. And good choice on the G2...I love mine so.
    Now when AT&T has their way....I don't think we'll be getting gems like the G2. Just please don't disable sideloading....

DonV.Smith likes this.