AT&T and Verizon iPhone activations disappoint

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by uggboy, Apr 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    AT&T and Verizon iPhone activations disappoint:(

SOURCE: http://money.cnn.com/2012/04/24/technology/att-verizon-iphone/

This makes for some interesting reading!:)

2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just don't see anything surprising with this. Most people I'd assume will be waiting for the iPhone 5. What's the point to be buying a 3G phone anymore? Most people want LTE.

uggboy likes this.
  3. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have to tell you, it's pretty much their own fault. The 4S was a huge disappointment and a lot of people are sitting on the fence to finally get a 4G device. Till they get up to speed, they can have Siri and all the other useless crap the 4s has. I'm not renewing a contract on that device.

PointsCashMiles and uggboy like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That "terrible disappointment" led to 35+ million sold iPhones:

"The Company sold 35.1 million iPhones in the quarter"

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/04/24Apple-Reports-Second-Quarter-Results.html

From the OP:

If that number held steady in the first quarter, Apple will have sold just over 23 million iPhones -- well short of analysts' median estimate of 30 million.

uggboy likes this.
  5. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Including internationally, it of course doesn't look that bad, but at the end of the day, with an iPhone5 out instead of the 4S, they would probably have sold at least 15 million more devices here in the US

With numbers like these, shareholders should be happy: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...-94-on-growing-global-demand-for-iphones.html

Nevertheless, not offering 4G/LTE is a huge drawback for Apple and the result would have been a lot better if they had gotten that device done sooner. It all depends on how you spin it ;)

uggboy likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The iPhone accounted for 78% of the smartphone activations on AT&T. That's in the US, yes? I think the "huge drawback" isn't such a big drawback for most customers after all, it seems to me. Sure, they might have sold even more if they had had a 4G model, but clearly their strategy is working (and I am not a shareholder, sadly).

Personally, I'd love to get consistent and reliable 3G service (here in the Bay Area of all places!) from AT&T before I even worry about LTE.

bmg42000, uggboy and adambadam like this.
  7. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    You won't see a single 3G cell tower improve in any area, all rollout is now LTE/4g

The original article in this thread says it all. Yes, numbers are impressive from apple, but the carrier with the best 4g network, Verizon, Apple has a declining, 50% market share, which is a huge number, but declining and the main reason is that Androids have 4g. Face it, the best Androids (and most popular) cost the same as the current iPhone. With 4g, most people would of course buy an iPhone and sales are now stagnating in north america because of the lack of 4g

So again, apple numbers are healthy, but there's for sure room for improvement

uggboy likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Most carriers are starting to cannibalize their 2G networks to augment their LTE rollout.

I believe AT&T is planning to do this for most EDGE towers in New York in this coming month. I guess the logic is that most old school "feature phones" that are not 3G won't notice the difference as they don't rely on data as heavily.

uggboy likes this.
  9. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I agree that most people up for new phones will either opt for an Android with LTE or wait for the next iPhone. But be careful what you wish for. For the most part LTE battery performance has been abysmal, so coupled with recent iPhone battery issues, Apple's product may be at a further disadvantage. I know they were waiting until both LTE and 3G could operate off one chipset, but I am not sure if that will drastically improve battery performance.
    I have the iPhone 4s for my personal phone and I do love it. I have the Galaxy Nexus with ICS and LTE for my work phone, and the battery is lucky if it lasts 2/3 of a day.

FlyingBear and uggboy like this.
  10. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where exactly is that information coming from? There are now far more Android phones to choose from at all price points and Android phones have far more variety now and better implementation overall. Yeah, lots of them have 4G, but that's not nearly as tangible of a benefit, as price/size/package/etc. that consumers get to touch and feel.