ASTA: Marriott's Wi-Fi Plan Discriminates Against Consumers Who Use Agents

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by uggboy, Nov 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    ASTA: Marriott's Wi-Fi Plan Discriminates Against Consumers Who Use Agents

2. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting, just realized this affects my business...

uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. While I can understand that Marriott wants that people / guests are booking via their own website and getting free WIFI for this, it's equally important to offer WIFI for all who choose to stay at your property incl. Marriott in the first place, this includes all guests not only Marriott Rewards members or Marriott.com bookings. Let's hope that Marriott and others wake up and give away free WIFI to all guests, I mean it's the 21st century and research shows us that free WIFI is now considered more important than free breakfast in many cases.

flyforawg and Espan like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why?

5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because hotel chains should listen to their guests, and this incl. all guests in a property, especially now, it's the 21st century and as said ealier, free WIFI is now a driving factor in hotel bookings and makes a whole world of difference for many. Would book only with them as Marriott Rewards member through their website, but then other independent hotels offer free WIFI for all their "valued" guests. Choices, I know. :oops:

flyforawg likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do all other independent hotels offer free Wifi?

If WiFi is a driving factor in hotel bookings, then perhaps let the market take care of it. It should be driving away customers from Marriott properties, right?

I never got this "Wifi must be free" movement... it's not like there it's in the bill of rights somewhere that we have a right to cost-free internet and hotels are required to provide that. If that was the case, maybe start working on the airlines, too?

Dublin_rfk and icurhere2 like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    So far, I haven't stayed in any independent hotel where WIFI wasn't free. It's of course Marriotts choice, it's the costumers choice, it's all about choices. I don't believe it's an movement per se which wants "free WIFI", it's simply that chains incl. Marriott might want to listen and offer something really groundbreaking and different compared to other chains, namely offer real free WIFI for every guest. Now, that's a choice too. Too many? :)

Espan and viguera like this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bone-headed policies or decisions weed themselves out in the long run. Market forces will force Marriott to change course if and/or when this Wi-FI policy begins to affect their bottom line.

uggboy likes this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I think all the hotel chains find themselves in the same quagmire though. "Big Data" is incredibly useful to them, and if they can incite you to register for their program and use their website for bookings it gives them further insight into what kind of customer you are, and how they can better tailor their prices, promos and offers.

It's all an obvious money grab, but they can't realistically force you to use their site instead of rocketmiles or trivago or hotels.com or whatever... so they have to dangle the carrot and hope that you bite.

Free Wi-Fi is nice, but only if it's usable. Anybody can offer "assy" WiFi for free and hope that you're happy, but personally I'd rather have fast, solid internet access in exchange for something instead. Whether that something is being part of the loyalty program, being a particular elite level or even using their website.

Espan, uggboy and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, the change is a good one for those who book on Marriott. They get something they may not have had before. This is unlikely to impact Marriott's bottom line in a negative way (http://blog.wandr.me/2014/10/marriott-rewards-free-wifi/).

Choice is good. Book on Marriott.com and get extra benefits. Book via your favorite other site or TA and they get something for the service they provide (and you get fewer benefits). Not really anything new, just that WiFi was added to the category of benefits you may not get depending on where you book.

Some chains offer free breakfast for every guest. Marriott hasn't adopted that so far, I think. It's their business, their choice. You can choose to book elsewhere if that is to your benefit.

viguera likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That!

Many times when I stay at a free-Wifi property it turns out to be unusable or painfully slow. And the free breakfast that many of the lower-end chains offer turns out to be powder eggs and pop tarts. So I end up using my phone hotspot and head over to the diner across the street for a real breakfast.

viguera likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably not, but they would look "outdated" if the industry standard is to offer free WIFI...market forces = peer pressure.;)

Espan and uggboy like this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Which of their major competitors offer free WiFi to all customers at all properties? Seems to me right now they look like industry leaders, and ahead of the industry standard.

Some reading: http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2014-07-18/which-hotels-are-still-charging-for-wifi-and-why

Mandarin Oriental was apparently a year ahead of Marriott: http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2...WiFi_(So_Long_As_You_Book_Directly_With_Them)

viguera likes this.
  14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll do one better and say that hotels are already offering some perks that are exclusive to members of their program and book using their site, namely stay / night credits and points. You can choose to roll the dice and book some other way and you might get that as well, or you might not.

uggboy likes this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that Marriott has a very good reason for taking the approach they have: It saves them money. Rather than paying a commission to the travel agent they give the customer free wifi.

That's not discrimination.

Espan likes this.
  16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    No one said anything about now. Time is NOT static, my friend. It is inevitable that WIFI will be offered free of charge at some point, not only in hotel rooms and lobbies but also on commercial airplanes. It is only a matter of someone starting a "wave"...

uggboy likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I must have missed the part of Marriott's announcement where they said that they will never ever change the current policy even if competitors go beyond their benefits. And yes, someone did start a wave. Marriott and arguably before them Mandarin Oriental.

18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is just cyclically silly.:rolleyes:

uggboy likes this.
  19. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    The free wifi movement has it's roots in the free healthcare movement!
    If you want free wifi reserve and stay at a hotel that will give it to you.
    If you want to stay at a Marriott stay at a Marriott.
    If you want free wifi at a Marriott gain some status and they will give it to you.

20. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    [QUOTE="HaveMilesWillTravel, post: 2479547, member: 648"I never got this "Wifi must be free" movement... it's not like there it's in the bill of rights somewhere that we have a right to cost-free internet and hotels are required to provide that[/QUOTE]

I'm going to re-read the constitution just to confirm it isn't there.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  21. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope this free wifi thing can make Marriott and OTA break the price fixing agreement.