Assaulted by another passenger on UA

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by hulagrrl210, Dec 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So maybe assault is a strong word, but someone pushed me on the plane yesterday and I really, really, REALLY, doubt it was an accident.

My family was returning from Maui yesterday. Due to SHARES/the new companion upgrade system/our reservations getting split/etc. our seat assignments in E+ got screwed up and we weren't seated together. Baby and I were in row 10 E,F (window, middle) on a 757. Husband was in 8C (aisle). Called United numerous times ahead of time, but the plane was pretty full, was told it was under airport control, and got the usual run-around. No help at the airport either. Gate agent was nice but said we would have to work it out on board. Usually not a problem. The people in 10C,D were together and wanted to stay next to each other across the aisle, fine, so our next best hope was to try and switch with the couple in row 8 A,B. We were asking to trade an E+ window and middle for another E+ window and middle, but the guy didn't want to do it. We had asked very nicely and tried to explain we were traveling with a 10-month old and would really appreciate sitting together. "Don't even start with me, trying to make me feel guilty about it, I have 4 kids too and I paid for my seats." was the response we got. So we paid for E+ too, maybe not directly but via the number of miles I fly annually with United, and our seats were just as good. He wanted to be a jerk about it. There was a brief exchange after that, which I regret, and then a 5 1/2 flight filled with awkward silence and a few dirty looks. I thought that would be the end of it.

My husband sat in row 8 for most of the flight next to his female companion who he stuck in the middle seat, then about and hour before landing we switched. When we were deplaning I stood and waited a second for my husband and kid to come up from 2 rows back. The guy said excuse me then without giving me a chance to move, shoved me clear out of the aisle and into the seat across from us. I'm very sure it was intentional. The guy just about knocked me over, no kidding. I was so shocked that someone else even touched me that I completely froze up and didn't say or do anything. He deplaned and was gone in a matter of seconds.

In my opinion it takes a special breed of a-hole to not switch seats with a family, and I felt strongly that way even before I had kids. I do realize what we were asking for was a favor, and it was his right to say no; that really should have been the end of it. But instead he was a jerk, decided to mouth off to my husband, we all got in a fight, and then he ends up pushing me. Overall, not a fun day in the friendly skies. I've NEVER EVER had another passenger lay hands on me like that before and was a little startled and shaken up by the event. Even a day later I still have a REALLY REALLY bad taste in my mouth about the whole experience, but realize there is probably nothing we can do. Obviously United isn't going to be liable for the other a-holes they let fly on their airline. The flight attendants were very reluctant to get involved even when things got heated; I don't blame them, and there is no way anyone could have known it would turn out the way it did.

So in the end the a-hole in 8A probably got away with one, but you know what they say, what goes around comes around, and that's all I can hope for. I'd really love to see what happens the next time this guy decides to push someone else's wife/mom or girlfriend...

8MiHi and Kalboz like this.
  2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the interest of getting the full story, what was the brief exchange that you regret?

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  3. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I called him an a-hole

4. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was passive-aggressive style, but I'm still pretty sure he heard me.

5. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems you escalated the fire there a bit. I'm sure you could have charged him with something, but who knows if anything would have come from it. Other than your hurt feelings, are you really damaged in any way? Sometimes it's better to learn from these situations, and don't get rude with people.

I know it's hard traveling with small kids. I've done it, and it's not always easy. Pressuring someone to change with you really is not cool. If you're next your kid, and the kid is not seated by themselves, then I don't see the WWIII bombs needing to be dropped. Do as you did, switch with your partner if you need to.

6. zippypinhead

zippypinhead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like our "civil" society we have today.
    You think it's perfectly okay to call him an a-hole for not wanting to trade seats.....
    He thinks it's perfectly okay to shove you afterwards.
    Sigh.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The shoving is just final proof that hulagrrl's initial assessment was correct.

It probably wasn't wise to let the guy hear it, but in no way does it justify shoving or pushing.

Mikus33, 8MiHi, malikguy and 4 others like this.
  8. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You guys are totally right, I probably shouldn't have said it (or let him hear me), but in light of his actions, I certainly don't feel bad about what I called him. In fact I only wish I'd said more! And no, I wasn't at all injured or hurt by what he did, but having a complete stranger lay their hands on me in such a manner did scare me a little bit!

8MiHi and Kalboz like this.
  9. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I might have escalated it, I certainly didn't start it. The "exchange" was mostly involving my husband and took place long before he overheard me calling him an a-hole. It just so turned out I was the more convenient person to shove towards the end of the flight after we switched seats.

Kalboz likes this.
  10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Both of you could have used a time-out. I would just chalk it up to "one of those" travel stories for a future happy hour.

11. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you can explain this to me since I don't see why it's such a big problem. The seats we were trying to trade, were EXACTLY THE SAME as the ones he was sitting in. I don't see how asking someone is "pressuring" them. My husband mentioned we were traveling with a baby, then they guy responded with his comment about "not making him feel bad" before we could even point out what we wanted to trade. IMO our seats were actually better, not next to the galley, and on the right side of the aircraft, which has a better view leaving the island.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Boeing_757-300_New.php

Kalboz likes this.
  12. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as the kid was sitting with one of you, what's the problem? The guy had every right to sit in the seat he was sitting in. It's not his responsibility to make it easier for you take care of your kid.

sea777guy, antirealist, ella and 7 others like this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Correct, he had every right to behave like a selfish a*hole. The OP also had the right to ask for a favor. He did NOT have a right to touch or sHove the OP.

As a non-parent myself, I probably would made sure my lap child was with the parent sitting next to these fine folks at all times. (I suspect parents would do the opposite).

14. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, but it's the nice, dare I say "right" thing to do. Traveling with a 10-month old is much easier to do with 2 people.

8MiHi, malikguy, IDGflygirl and 2 others like this.
  15. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    He wasn't a lap-child. We purchased him his own seat, hence the problems with the record locator/seat assignments to begin with as he doesn't have any status. He did visit dad's lap for a brief period next to these fine folks while mommy got up to go to the bathroom though.

8MiHi, malikguy and Kalboz like this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ah right, of course.

17. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hate when people ask me to trade seats, if I'm in 8D, it's because I want to be in 8D, not 10D.

And then you called someone am ahole for not trading seats with you?

No offense OP, but you're in the wrong on this one.

The seat your ticket says you are in, is the seat you should sit in.

I probably wouldve traded with you.... But not if you asked me as entitled as you sound in this thread.

MX, antirealist, maradori and 4 others like this.
  18. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But that isn't always the case. Some people might have been assigned a seat at the last-second and don't have any preference.

C'mon, don't you think that is a little bit over the top there?

8MiHi, malikguy, Kalboz and 1 other person like this.
  19. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    "No offense" but you're the one who sounds entitled.

malikguy and Kalboz like this.
  20. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    I absolutely meant no disrespect..

I see hula post here all the time and she seems really nice.

I love all you guys equally :)

I just feel like when you ask someone to trade seats, if they say no.... You sit in your seat and it's over.

It is unacceptable to call someone an asshole IMHO.

It sounds like hula was frustrated, traveling with children can be stressful.

However, name calling is never ok.

Kalboz and hulagrrl210 like this.
  21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You asked someone to do you a favor. For whatever reason they refused. Maybe they really like binary numbers or have an irrational fear of zeroes. It doesn't matter. You asked a favor of them. They declined to honor that request. Maybe that makes them a jerk and maybe not. But the minute you called them an asshole for doing so you crossed the line. End of story.

The rest of the story is just more bad behavior, but that's not what actually started the situation. It is amazing how different a story reads when the full version is told than just the self-censored version. And I'm quite certain that we still haven't actually heard the whole thing.

h0pper, sea777guy, malikguy and 13 others like this.
  22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. I have traded seats where the kid was a (estimated) 12-year-old and even for adults who wanted to sit together. Most of the E+ seats are "created equal" and it really doesn't matter. I wouldn't likely move out of an exit row or into a middle seat to accommodate adults wanting to sit together, but otherwise it really makes no huge difference to me.

8MiHi, malikguy, IDGflygirl and 2 others like this.
  23. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One other little point, we are only getting one side of the story here. None of us were on that plane and actually saw the op being pushed and nobody witnessed the verbal exchange earlier either. I dont know the op personaly so i cant say she wasnt just hacked off that the other dude wouldn't trade seats and was looking for a fight. Maybe she just lost her balance while getting up and the other guy grazed her wihle getting his bag, and in her state decided that he shoved her.

Im not saying the op's story is true or just made a tad more colorfull due to her state of mind. Just offering a plausable alternative. And without hearing the other guys side I always take stories such as this with a grain of salt. (Nothing personal against the op)

24. cheepneezy
    Original Member

cheepneezy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just have to say that I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of your husband's female companion.;)

25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Correct. And it's true for virtually all stories here and on FT.

I am not sure what the motif would be for the OP to tell us a story about getting pushed when she wasn't.

malikguy and hulagrrl210 like this.