Ask HotelChatter: Where Should a Four Seasons Lover Stay in Venice and Rome?

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by uggboy, Sep 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ask HotelChatter: Where Should a Four Seasons Lover Stay in Venice and Rome?:cool:

The other day, a HotelChatter Twitter follower asked us for some upscale hotel recommendations in Venice and Rome. More specifically, Jcjteeth wants hotels of the same caliber as Four Seasons:

@HotelChatter Any recs on 5Star/upscale hotels in Venice and Rome? Usually stay at @FourSeasons but alas no FS properties in those cities.​

That's pretty weird now that we think about it. No Four Seasons in Rome or Venice? They should really get on that!

But onto our hotel picks.

MORE!http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2...a_Four_Seasons_Lover_Stay_in_Venice_and_Rome_

Kalboz likes this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Much easier said than done uggboy!

Anyway- there are several upscale hotels in Venezia so someone asking at Hotel Chatter should do a bit of homework. Depending on what you want to spend the sky is the limit in Venice.

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do you recommend? Based on experience!:)

Kalboz likes this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well it would be very rare for me to stay in a hotel in Venezia, however this site here should take care of any VIP (these are the people that Tom Cruise, Madonna, Angelia Jolie, as well as people who don't have household names but do have their own Bombardier Global Explorers etc call when they need something nice in Venezia).

http://www.ilpalazzovenezia.com/

Alternatively- there is a crowd that also likes the Cipriani.

Rumour has it that Aman will open in 2012 finally in Venezia as well- I'll believe it when I see it.

uggboy likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Venice is a place where I'd be concerned about staying in a standard room in one of the famous top hotels with neither status nor celebrity to ease the way for me. OTOH, I had a bad experience at the Regina and XXX, so I wouldn't be eager to go there again. If it were me, I would search for a very elegant boutique-type hotel in a good location or avoid Venice entirely as a very expensive tourist trap, but I guess everyone has to go there once.

uggboy likes this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Venezia doesn't have to be a tourist trap.

Avoiding chain hotels is a good start.

Avoiding anything from a guidebook won't hurt at all either.

There are some wonderful restaurants, great hotels, and a lot of nice things to do. A few words of Italian won't do any harm either.

Your advisement on not staying in the lowest category rooms in the famous chain hotels is an excellent one. Status may help although I wouldn't count on it- often the top/better rooms and suites sell out at full price first.

Enjoy Venice- it is a wonderful city- just think about how to do it and avoid Piazza S. Marco.

uggboy likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another idea is to avoid Venice during the summer, when it's unpleasantly hot and humid anyway. Winter gives you a chance of seeing it in snow and even the spring and fall shoulder seasons are likely to be more pleasant.

I hate the major Italian chain hotels with a passion and will go out of my way to avoid them.

uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  8. doylemoore314

doylemoore314 Active Member

Status Points:
    In May stayed at Danelli. Excellent service and location. Have stayed years back at Bauer Pallazzo equally outstanding. In 80's was at Gritti Palace. Any of three are perfect.

9. doylemoore314

doylemoore314 Active Member

Status Points:
    Rome a small boutique hotel is White. Rooms are modern and next to Trevi Fountain. Two over the top places I have stayed are:1) St. Regis Grand and Hassler. Hassler has superior location. Both excellent service. Have stayed twice at Eden and loved it.