Asiatique - new night market in Bangkok

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by estnet, May 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Recently opened, just what Bangkok needs more shopping:oops: - but I must be wrong because it is jammed! I was told it has a lot of the vendors that used to be at the old Silom night market - but who knows?
    On the site of old warehouses it is a mix of cavernous (due to the height of old warehouses) restaurants with odd seating (huge floor space but only a few tables), nicely laid out restaurants sort of facing the river (I noticed upscale french and Italian ones), lots of small kiosks, a few chain stores, lots of smaller a/c restaurants, a large section where "street food" stalls exist, but with no seating and no a/c :) Prices there were pretty reasonable so if you want to eat cheaply you can, but there are lots of more upmarket (and more costly) choices - fish, Thai, Japanese, English, etc.
    Later in my outing I noticed a street entertainer with a boom box at painfully loud sound in one area so I went elsewhere.
    It is open from 5pm-midnight and there is a free shuttle boat from Thaksin pier (just below the Thaksin BTS) and the same one that the shuttle from the Royal Orchid Hotel uses. There is a large parking lot at the market but it was JAMMED when I was there last night, as were all the restaurants facing the river - don't know if it is b/c it's new or just the way it will be.
    The shuttle boat was massively overloaded (but thank goodness it didn't sink), so has the usual Thai standard of (non) safety but it is a short but pleasant 5 or 10 minute trip. I think the boats go about every 15 minutes.

2. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Didn't know about this when I was in Bangkok early last month. Would've been interested to check it out had I had known about it.

Kalboz likes this.
  3. tomy77

tomy77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the report. Will try to check it out, when i'm there.
    Any idea where it is exactly? I tried to put the address, but not showing up in google maps.

edit: Maybe this should be moved to Thailand forum instead?

Kalboz likes this.
  4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's new so google may not be too accurate - I find it often is a bit strange for locations in Bangkok. It is south of the Thaksin BTS stop - there are comp. boat shuttles there from the pier there that the Sheraton Royal Orchid also uses (the one furthest left as you face the river). The actual (somewhat splashy) website is at:
    http://www.thaiasiatique.com/en/index.php
    The actual address is: 2194 Charoenkrung Rd., WatPrayakai, Bangkoleam, Bangkok 10120. It is next to the last stop of the river boat at Wat ? - can't remember, but since it is only open at night the free shuttle boat works better than the river boat. Full info about driving is on their website.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    tomy77 and cennas like this.
  6. Federicoita

Federicoita Silver Member

Status Points:
    Asiatique Riverfront
    Name and Address: 2194 Charoenkrung 72-74 Road, Bangkok
    Tel number: +66 (0)2 108 4489
    Open daily, 5 p.m. to midnight

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it’s a super staggering shopping complex come festival market and living museum.
    Think in term of a cutting edge Jatujak Market but where the architecture is colonial style and the airplane hangar looking like eateries at the front are brick built and window glazed. I am not sure as to whether I will go along with definition of style and sophistication though. To me it seemed more than a cultural distortion but more expensive than most markets it certainly is. The location brings again to the fore what was once a flourishing trade centre during the late 19th century. Big is definitely is but I remain unconvinced as to its heritage value. However, this may be a minor detail and judging by how popular it is with photographers, the cultural heritage will take a new dimension and be redefined.

I saw many people window shopping here but very few actually buying. However, on both occasions I visited, the queues at Thaksin Pier were very long. There is a free shuttle service from the latter but you can also take the orange flag boat for 15 baht.

Veterans of the area have compared it to the previous Suan Lum Night Bazaar. I never saw the latter and therefore I could not tell you. However, it opens from 17.00 hrs until midnight, the Joe Louis Puppet Theatre is there and Calypso one of the best ladyboy cabaret has also moved here. Incidentally, in addition to the above, the shops, the eateries and bars there are also a couple of Spa. The outdoor area is well over 2,000 square metres. Beware of taking a taxi there, though, as Charoenkrung Road is often congested.

If you have been to “Palio” near Kao Yai then you will be familiar on how today’s designers seem to enjoy mixing themes by borrowing ideas and styles here and there. Thus, if you are a purist this may bother you. As for me, I just go with the flow.

Is the shopping any good or different? I would not say so, just a tad more expensive. However, the wooden terraces on arrival offer great skyline views of modern Bangkok over the Chao Phraya River and many good photos can be taken. With Thais love for shopping until they drop and tourists’ natural curiosity, Asiatique Riverfront seems like a good crowd puller. As to how much the various shops will need to sell to recoup their monthly rent for the tiniest of units remains to be seen.

I would personally return just before dusk to take lots of photos but for shopping and eating I am likely to give it a miss.
    Giorgio Federico

joanek, HLC and Kalboz like this.
  7. Federicoita

Federicoita Silver Member

Status Points:
    Asiatique

IMG_0236.JPG

Approaching by water

IMG_0244.JPG

Detail

IMG_0258.JPG

Sois of shops and shop till you drop

IMG_0260.JPG

Large squares, great meeting places

IMG_9115.JPG

Accidental Tourist

Giorgio Federico

joanek, HLC and Kalboz like this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do these tourists realize that there's more to a country than bragging about getting a VAT refund at BKK? Rather, does Asiatique have more of an appeal for more recent East Asian visitors or the mainstays?

Kalboz likes this.
  10. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    ?????
    Not sure what you mean but most of the people I saw there were Thai's and probably locals judging from the parking lot. don't know if this has changed to foreign tourists, but IMHE local Thai's (with money) seem to love foreign themed restaurants and designs that evoke "foreign" sights - like this place and Terminal 21 - altho terminal 21 has lots of tourists as well as locals, I think because its location is located in the middle of the tourist area while Asiatique requires more of an effort to find.

Kalboz likes this.
  11. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, all I was saying is little old me travels thousands of kilometers to eat, not shop. But what's another mall in a city of what seems like hundreds...
    Also, about your comment about how the Thais like "foreign" themes-definitely seems a contagious idea in that part of the world.

Kalboz likes this.
  12. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also travel to eat (well I do shop a little)... and for me it's hard to beat the street food (a little freshly fried chicken leg here, some som tom made to order there......) and Asiatique really doesn't do it, but if I'm hot and tired and nearby I do love the food court at Terminal 21 (but hate the rest of it).

Kalboz likes this.