Asiana lawyering up over KTVU/NTSB incident????

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Asia/Australia' started by jfhscott, Jul 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    See:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/14/travel/asiana-offensive-names/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Seems that Asiana is considering legal action, claiming "[t]he reputation of the four pilots and of the company had been seriously damaged by this report. The company is reviewing taking legal action against both KTVU-TV and the NTSB."

Frankly, I don't know how they will prove damages. But, initially, I dunno that the pilots has such a great reputation, all things considered. Nor did the sophomoric stunt which gave rise to this ferfuffle, in my mind, impact their or Asiana's standing in any community. It was immediately recognized as a hoax and likely falls into the same category as unactionable, if tasteless, parody.

Aktchi, LETTERBOY and MX like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, jokes are not actionable, even if truly offensive and poorly timed. However, inappropriate attention to a joke can damage someone's reputation, especially when that someone should be dealing with a disaster instead.

Aktchi, LETTERBOY and estnet like this.
  3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the joke damaged OZ's reputation, I think it damaged the reputation of the NTSB & KTVU. And frankly, if they were too dumb to notice that it was an obvious joke, they (NTSB & KTVU) deserve to have their reputations damaged.

MX and canucklehead like this.
  4. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If Asiana sues it will create more publicity for the crash. While the joke is in poor taste, I don't see how Asiana has any damages

5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, when I read about the possible legal action (which, btw, I consider ridiculous when they should be dealing with the legal issues of helping their passengers and crew who were injured) I went out of my way to see what the fuss was about (it's all over youtube). Now I never would have done this if they weren't talking about suing - so are they shooting themselves in the foot getting even more people to see the "disgracing" names?

6. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Asiana better also sue the numerous BB posts debating the quality of training of their pilots. Some of these opinions are far more damaging to their reputation than a tasteless prank on pilot names.

7. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ironically, the suit seems to be increasing the exposure the underlying "defamation" is getting.

Asiana would be best off just putting this one to bed.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could OZ be referring to potential legal action in South Korea? We're all assuming they mean the US, but could they be talking about suing in South Korea? Granted, it wouldn't be much use to sue a local TV station and the US government in a foreign country, but they might be referring to that.

True, but how many people (among the general public) saw the name joke as opposed to the training stuff?

9. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    The words pilot error have been mentioned in many reports and descriptions of the situation.

10. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps what astonishes me most is that OZ, of all entities, is unforgiving of accidents and mistakes.

11. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, but how many people are going to read much beyond the words "pilot error"? I don't think it'll be all that many.

12. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    that was the point of my post above ;)