Asiana F or Singapore F, with domestic issues

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by jmail1, Nov 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jmail1

jmail1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, this is filed squarely in the First World Problems folder. I was able to grab a couple of the Asiana F Suite seats from JFK-ICN.

I am coming from DFW and there is no direct flight that gets me to JFK in time to catch the 1pm departure.

Leaving the night before is not an option, so that leaves me with:

1. Buying a direct ticket to LGA that leaves at 6:15am and arrives into LGA at 10:30am. This is a Saturday, so hoping to get to JFK by 11:30am. In this case I of course would not be protected on my JFK flight if something were to happen.
    2. Book the domestic portion using the award on US Air from DFW-CLT-JFK leaving at 5:15am with a 45 minute connection in CLT arriving into JFK at 11:15.

Which option would you take? Chance the short but legal connection or chance the traffic?

Question 2

The return from BKK-ICN-JFK presents a similar problem. Flight lands at 9:30am and there isn't a direct return until 4:00pm, and that would require me to buy the ticket. If we want a connecting return we have to layover at JFK for three hours and then have 8 hours of flying and layovers until we can get back to DFW.

I have enough KrisFlyer miles to book the return from BKK-SFO and replace the BKK-ICN-JFK. It would cost me $850 to book the ticket and my wife and I would have to split up between the First and Business cabins on the SIN-ICN-SFO portion. She's fine with that, and I have enough miles to bump her up to First (or me down to business if it opens up) It works out to about 160k in Krisflyer miles.

We'd have to buy a ticket back from SFO-DFW but I can get a direct flight two hours after we land for $130 each.

Another bonus of the return is that we could spend a day in SIN rather than having to take an overnight flight from BKK-ICN to catch the ICN-JFK flight.

SQ Itinerary would be

BKK-SIN (2 hour flight) early afternoon day before, spend afternoon and night in SIN
    SIN-ICN 9:25a - 4:40p (6.5 hour flight) First class for one, lie flat business for the other.
    1.5 hour layover
    ICN-SFO 5:45p - 11:10a (10.5 hour flight) First class for one, lie flat business for the other.
    1.75 hour layover (We have global entry and no checked bags)
    SFO-DFW 12:50pm - 6:10pm (3.2 hour flight) Coach

Total of 23.2 hours of flight and 3.25 of airport layovers. Out of pocket $1,000.

OZ would be

BKK-ICN 1:20am - 8:30am (5.1 hours) Angled Flat Business
    1.5 hour layover
    ICN-JFK 10:00am - 9:40am (13.5 hours) Asiana new suites. As of now we can't get the paired seats, we are across the aisle.
    4 hour layover
    JFK-CLT 1:41pm - 3:50pm (2.1 hours) Airbus 321 First
    2.5 hour layover
    CLT-DFW 6:20pm - 8:20pm (3 hours) Airbus 321 First

Total of 23.7 hours of flight time and 8 hours of airport layovers. Out of pocket $140

What would you do?

iolaire likes this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ending a nice first class flight with lots of dumpy domestic connections ruins the return, so I'd do the SQ in the same cabbin on the return.

On the outbound I'd risk a direct flight with traffic over multiple connections, or fly in the night before and Priceline a hotel near the airport.

YULtide likes this.