Asiana Club

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Asia/Australia' started by ande777emt, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there should be a separate forum for Asiana Questions and information instead of lumping them into a general Asia airlines group as Asiana is truly great carrier and one growing into having a significant portion of TPAC traffic.

Bonnie, Krisu and c_9 like this.
  2. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Plus the FFP is getting more popular with those of us who've jumped ship from BD and generally fly Y :)

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  3. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Maybe you should request its own forum then?

4. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, just did it in the Beta forum. Maybe you can ‘like’ the suggestion ;)

5. CIPAS
    Original Member

CIPAS Silver Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree.
    Also with Korean Air Skypass. [​IMG]

6. ohianjo
    Original Member

ohianjo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey everyone, we definately should get our own forum for us OZ members :) Diamond plus here but a bit disenchanted with the new changes re: no first class lounge when in Y and extra charges for Qsmartium... Silly Silly.

7. sleepyintheair
    Original Member

sleepyintheair Silver Member

Status Points:
    ... and those jumping ship from AC [​IMG] ...

8. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    The thing I'm missing pretty badly is the lack of mileage bonus for status customers when flying Star Alliance. The bonus is pretty meagre anyway at 5%, 10% an 15% for Gold, Diamond and Diamond Plus respectively, but worse, it only applies when flying OZ :( Gone are the generous 25% BD bonuses :(

9. Yeah, the bonus is pretty meagre, but then BD was always the exception anyway. Most of the *A carriers don't offer any status bonus at all.

10. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure that's true, most do offer status bonuses, but yes, most are on own metal only or a small selection. e.g. UA PE gives 100% bonus on UA flights and codeshares with LH and US, SQ KF Gold gives 25% on SQ, NH*G gives 100% on NH metal. But yeah BD was pretty generous! I've not even flown OZ yet!

SeaWolf likes this.
  11. I'm the same. [​IMG] I've taken a heap of *A flights and got myself up to Diamond, but no flights on OZ yet.

12. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even though I don't even have status or fly OZ often, I liked visiting the FT forum and was disappointed not to spot one here.

13. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another BD'er contemplating a switch. I thought I was going to go to UA MP, but now that miles/more is not acquiring Diamond club at least or this yr am looking to Asiana as an option. Question I have is does asiana give minimum segment miles for UA or CO??? On their website it does not specify. Some airlines it states whether actual miles or a minimum, but nothing for UA/CO.

Thx

14. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the paper Membership Guide, under minimum mileage, it lists "Actual", which I guess means no minimum mileage. Only a few airlines have a minimum listed unfortunately.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  15. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:

Thanks, that makes a big difference considering my normal routes. Plus I like the family membership that dc offers. BUT only 40k for gold......hate this tug of war...

16. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    LIke I mentioned earlier, fo me, I now count OZ as a 20k tax per year for Gold status. I don't think their burn rates are great, and I could do more with BD or SQ miles. But by giving up 20k a year to OZ, I'll have Gold, and not need to stress out about just making the threshold on other programs. As soon as I hit the requirement, I'll put the rest of miles somewhere more useful, probably SQ. My family's still enrolled in BD, so I'll probably put their miles there, since they don't affect any status considerations.

17. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:

One thing that chapped me looking at OZ redemptions (and probably a major deciding factor against OZ) was 80k for trips that were 10k miles. My most common route is GRR-ORD-MUC-KRK, which puts me at 10060 miles. that 60 miles difference costs 10 or 20k more OZ miles putting the same trip at 100k +/- (forgot exact OZ chart) more miles for Z redemption. I might be able to find a shorter length, but my current route is by far my favorite due to schedule of flights, etc. I'm sure they won't round down to do me a favor...... But then the attraction is the 2 yrs of Gold. I guess I need to up the travel to have enough for both plans.

18. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. I see OZ as a status FFP. If you're comfortably getting *G on another programme, I'd see no need to switch. But for me, I'd need 50k on SQ, *per year*. Instead, I'll get OZ*G, and probably hit SQ*S each year, using SQ mostly for upgrades. And once BD introduces *A Upgrade awards, I'll be able to start burning those.

19. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm considering signing up for OZ Club, but there's no space for a middle name or initial, and it instructs you to not leave a space between your first name and your middle name. Has anyone had trouble getting mileage credit for flights on other airlines that do have separate spaces for your first and middle names? I suppose I could just sign up using my first and last names, but with the TSA's Secure Flight program, I'm trying to have all my FF accounts have my full legal name. Any insight would be much appreciated. [​IMG]

20. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not US-based, but had no issues with just the first and last name. Concatenating the first and middle names might also be an option; you'll notice the name shows up on their site much like it does on a ticket: SURNAME/FIRSTMIDDLE

LETTERBOY likes this.
  21. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have any experience redeeming OZ miles on Star Alliance airlines? I know you have to call to do that, but how is the process? Are the reps competent, or is it like US where you have to play agent roulette? How about availability? Are seats readily available, or is there *net blocking like there used to be with UA?

22. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 for adding an Asiana Forum.

sdcarver