Asiana Airlines - Asiana Club

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Asia/Australia' started by WilliamQ, Apr 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aside from the horrific crash last year (SFO: Flight 214) which is still fresh on everyone's mind, will anyone of you actually consider this airline for either its flights or its FFP?

Any notable strengths?

On the other hand, will anyone of you go out of the way to avoid Asiana and do they have any notable weakness?

Thanks!

2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    The main problem I have with OZ is the clusterf*** process you go through when redeeming miles on *A travel. Lucky did a post about that a while ago. Extremely cumbersome. Made KE's process look relatively simple.

WilliamQ likes this.
  3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes and yes.

OZ has the easiest lifetime *G (500k miles on any *A airline).

WilliamQ likes this.
  4. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew OZ last nov -redeemed star award w/US I had the angled flat biz seat instead of the new smartium seat (my error when researching flights not equipment) there was alot of award availability two months out on my RTW tix to Australia - my review of the ORD to ICN is on my blog here http://philatravelgirl.com/asiana-airlines-ord-icn/

WilliamQ likes this.
  5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw this too and am really tempted by it.
    Miles are also valid for 12 years for their elites but will expire regardless of activity
    Elite status is valid for 24 mths and earning period is 24 mths as well....

6. manhattan8818

manhattan8818 New Member

Status Points:
    They have very nice first class lounge @ ICN. very good food and even JW blue.

7. A_Lee

A_Lee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I realize this thread is a bit old, but figure I'd add my two Won's worth. I've been a member of Asiana Club since they totally revamped it back in October 2008. I absolutely love the program as well as the airline. Not that it doesn't have problems, with the most notable being a pretty lame website, though that does improve slowly as time goes by. As Lifetime Diamond Plus I'm entitled to use their first class lounge at ICN whenever I fly OZ or any *A carrier, which is very nice, especially given how crowded the business class lounges can get during peak times. Also nice due to having hot food available at all times.

Notable strengths as I see them are:
    Fantastic service onboard - OZ FA's are the best of any airline IMHO
    Good perks for their best elite members: First class lounge access, higher priority op-ups, easy and no penalty for redemptions during blackout periods

Notable weaknesses as I see them are:
    Already mentioned poor website
    Less than stellar earn/burn rate
    Language/cultural differences that might be an issue for some people. I personally don't have any issues with that though.

For me personally the SFO accident doesn't factor into my decision to use the airline.

8. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have flown OZ UK to Australia and back several times in the past few years. Their service in the air is outstanding - even in Y.

Their STPC in Seoul on the return trip from SYD to LHR is always a welcome break in a brilliant city.

At the rate I'm flying now it will be a while before I get the lifetime *A, but I'll have an exceptional time getting there :)

kiwi and A_Lee like this.
  9. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    We all used to be United MP members. With all the bad changes to its program I signed one of my daughters up for the Asiana Cub program. (as a guinea pig) Within exactly 1 year as of December 2014 she had made Asiana Club Diamond = Star Alliance Gold. Her status is valid till 12/2017. She has about 50000+ miles with them but I have no experience redeeming flights as of yet. Miles do not expire for at least 10 years. She will have her next flight end of April with OZ from ORD-OCN-ORD. 10% more miles with that status.

10. A_Lee

A_Lee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just had a look and see my latest miles earned don't expire until 2027, so 12 years. Back when I first joined in 2008 and didn't have any status yet, I see those miles have a 10-year validity. As you've noticed, real easy to earn *A gold with OZ. I actually didn't join Asiana Club though for that reason, being I already had two *A gold cards with other carriers at that time. Rather I personally chose to join them due to the benefits they give me when flying OZ (which is my primary carrier) and when flying other *A carriers out of ICN. I just booked another transpac F ticket about a month ago which I'll fly later this year. Every award ticket I've bought has been real easy with no problems, and always available for the flights I want. With the exception that this time I wanted to fly the A380 from LAX but they only have a B777 in F for that day. I guess they've shifted a B777 with F class to the LAX route now, whereas it used to only be one F flight a day (the former B747 which has now been replaced with the A380). Now it looks like two flights per day with F. Well I actually prefer the B777 flight due to the flight time, but just wanted to experience their A380 in F.

11. tesadwirhma

tesadwirhma Member

Status Points:
    could you tell me what thats means? i'm new here, so i dont know well about this app

12. tesadwirhma

tesadwirhma Member

Status Points:
    how to earn points?