Asian airport gaining on Atlanta's No.1 busiest ranking

Discussion in 'ATL | Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport' started by sobore, Mar 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/morning_call/2012/03/asian-airports-gaining-on-atlantas.html

Asian airports dominated gains in passenger numbers in 2011, with five hubs posting double-digit growth and Beijing narrowing the gap to world No. 1 Atlanta, reports Bloomberg.
    Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport - home to Delta Air Lines Inc. (NYSE: DAL) - maintained the top position after its passenger total rose 3.4 percent to 92.4 million, according to figures from the Airports Council International show obtained by Bloomberg. Beijing had a 4.7 percent gain to 77.4 million.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/morning_call/2012/03/asian-airports-gaining-on-atlantas.html

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the future there will be a time when the world's busiest airport is located within Asia!:)

flyingdawg, autolycus and rwoman like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Economy + massive population = inevitable, I think! ;)

4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    ............while in the UK they still talk about a third runway for LHR and of course " Boris island ".........:D

5. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to do my best to help Hartsfield out by flying a lot more after I win the MegaMillions jackpot Friday night! :)

flyingdawg, rwoman, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  6. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is completely ridiculous that the London air traffic situation not only hasn't been fixed but doesn't even have the beginnings of a workable long-term plan. Thank goodness ATL continues to keep long-term demand and growth in mind and has the land and political support to take the necessary steps.

7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    The worlds busiest airport will be in China... and there is a chance they will make the top 2 spots very soon, my guess is that Shanghai is also going to grow massively in the next 4-5 years.

8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck!:)

9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is nice that everyone who wants to fly from London goes from LHR to the world, but they don't want that LHR grows and in the end wonder why everything is clocked up and does not work in terms of capacity and timing as it should be, plus these same people are wondering while other countries overtake the LHR top slot in the future!

flyingdawg, autolycus, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Beijing Capital is on a good way to take over the world's top slot very soon!:)

flyingdawg, autolycus, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  11. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    And that debate is INSANE...along with APD! ;)

uggboy and autolycus like this.
  12. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    That 15 million passenger gap with take at least a few years to close. Especially since ATL traffic continues to grow modestly every year.

uggboy and autolycus like this.
  13. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Projecting the 2011 numbers and growth rate forward, it would be 2025 or 2026 that Beijing Capital passes ATL and both would be in the 145-150 million passenger per year range. I don't think the assumption that the growth rates will stay exactly the same is a good assumption, but you're right that it will still be a few years before ATL is dethroned by an asian airport--quite likely 10+ years. At the current growth rate, Beijing Capital would break the 200 million passenger mark in 2032 and ATL not until 2035. Again, I don't think growth is going to be that consistent, but that's how they would project based just on 2011 passenger total and growth 2011 over 2010.

flyingdawg and uggboy like this.
  14. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tell them that, especially D. Cameron and his " anti " flight cabal! Why? Because I know that this debate is indeed INSANE! They should have resolved this " crisis " a long time ago and we would all be happy by now!:)

flyingdawg likes this.