Asia, Europe, Pacific?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by fotosdelviaje, Mar 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. fotosdelviaje

fotosdelviaje Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello everyone. I am a long time flyertalk lurker and now have joined here as it seems to be quite newbie friendly.

Most of the content seems to be very US-centered though. Are there any users here that travel mainly around Asia, Europe and the Pacific, but not the US? If there are, I would love to get in touch. My focus will be in those areas and it is proving harder to learn tricks that apply to those.

Thank you everyone for all the knowledge you have shared here!

cennas, LizzyDragon84, desamo and 3 others like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:

cennas and fotosdelviaje like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint! :)
    I have encountered users from all over the world here. It's only a matter of time before you find each other! ;)

cennas, fotosdelviaje and rwoman like this.
  4. fotosdelviaje

Status Points:
    Thank you for your welcome sobore and rwoman!

I am currently trying to figure out what would be the best FFP for me, as I will be flying across these continents and almost never North America (or the Americas in general). I have asked in the Newbie Guide, but the thread does not seem to be very active.

So far I am inclined to join Asiana Club, as for the rest of this year I have found a few interesting Qatar flights and I can earn in OZ with those. But I know very little about OZ upgrade/award redemption costs and availability.

If interested, what I have found so far and might do before the end of the year are:
    • EZE-GRU-DOH-KIX-NRT with Qatar
    • NRT-PEK-HKG with Air China
    • HKG-DOH-BER with Qatar
    • CMN-TUN-DOH-GRU-EZE with Qatar
    This should give me ~35k miles which gets me almost to Platinum level. Is my reasoning alright or am I far from understanding this?

cennas, rwoman and desamo like this.
  5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't looked at Asiana's charts, just make sure you book in appropriate fare classes to get the miles you expect.

Also, we like trip reports!

cennas, rwoman and fotosdelviaje like this.
  6. fotosdelviaje

Status Points:
    Thank you desamo! I have looked at Asiana's charts and it seems I am in the clear, but honestly I still have no idea if they even are the FFP for me. I might change all my plans for the rest of the year and that is what I am trying to figure out.

If there is interest, I will definitively be doing trip reports, though most of my travels will be in Y until I can get status and some upgrades.

rwoman likes this.
  7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey, 90% of my flying is in Y, but some of my friends think it's incredibly exotic. Snrch.

One of the catches with several Asian airlines' mileage programs is that they only allow you to accrue miles for 3 years -- and there's no auto-resetting of that clock with new activity. I looked at Asiana's pages, but I really couldn't tell if that applied to them. (I probably wouldn't choose a mileage program whose terms and conditions I couldn't read in the original language, though.)

Example of the three-year policy is Cathay Pacific's: here "13. Mileage credits are valid for three years from the date of accrual."

So, me, I'd make sure that, unless that wouldn't be a problem ever, that I'd have an airline that wouldn't expire miles faster than I could use them.

rwoman and fotosdelviaje like this.
  8. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't get too hung up about not doing trip reports if your travel is only in Y. For me, I normally skip over the bits where people talk about the food or the wines. I am more interested in what you do on your trip rather than what goes on, on the flight.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to look at the two alliances (Star vs OneWorld) and work out which alliance will serve you best to meet your travel needs. Then from that work out which actual program to join. One thing which I would pay attention to, based on my experience, is look for a program that will allow one way redemptions.

rwoman likes this.
  9. fotosdelviaje

Status Points:
    Thanks Toula! Yes, for the kind of traveling I do, one way redemptions are essential. Hadn't thought of checking that before.

rwoman likes this.
  10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    BA and UA do one-way redemptions. AA does not. I don't recall having seen a canonical list of airlines that do or don't do one-way redemptions.

fotosdelviaje likes this.
  11. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP fotosdelviaje!

As far as I know you can earn Asiana Club miles on Qatar, but they will not count for status miles, as Qatar isn't part of *A which OZ is a part of. To build a status on OZ, you need to fly with *A airlines.

fotosdelviaje and rwoman like this.
  12. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree, if you can focus on one of the three alliances you can credit your travel to a single program.

See if the airlines / flights will work for you within each alliance:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/about/airlines/

http://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/

http://www.skyteam.com/en/About-us/Our-members/

rwoman likes this.
  13. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually AA DOES do nor way redemptions

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  14. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA does do one way redemptions.

15. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP fotosdelviaje!

I personally tend to accumulate miles to get away from the US, mainly to Europe, but also Asia, Pacific, and South America as well and eventually Africa (when I have the time)!

16. fotosdelviaje

Status Points:
    Thank you cennas. You are right, I had not read that detail carefully enough. I am looking at *A flights not credited to either OZ or A3. Still figuring out what is best for me.

cennas likes this.
  17. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ack, sorry about that.

18. dandc3

dandc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I live in the Philippines, usually go to the USA, but will be doing a lot of different routes to other places this year, I'll keep people posted on experiences.

19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be sure to read the fine print carefully. DL says that it has one way award tickets, but they cost as many miles as RTs.

I agree that it can make sense to think first of an alliance. Then ask yourself what you want from a FF program. USA based airlines tend to give some free upgrades, while other airlines tend to give lounge access and other privileges of special handling to elites. Overseas carriers can give almost no miles for many coach fares, so that only very expensive tickets earn much. If you can do enough miles to get SWUs, AA or UA could make sense, even if you rarely fly to the USA, although SWUable flights that do not go through the USA can be limited. Be sure to distinguish between alliance benefits versus benefits offered by one's own home carrier (in terms of FF programs) and whether those benefits extend to a few closely tied partners, such as UA and LH or AA/BA/IB, which have a joint venture.