AS lets you redeem one ways now--questions arise

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by mrx900, Mar 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting tid bit I just found out...the one way redemptions from AS. So If Im reading this right, that means you can fly, lets say, DL, or AA, to LAX/SFO and then CX to HKG and coming back, KA or DL?

2. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. The example on their website is ANC-ORD (on AS) - PVG (on AA). Then PVG-SEA (on DL) - ANC (on AS). Makes sense?

mrx900 likes this.
  3. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    yeah the domestic partners make sense, but I was thinking more like their foreign partners, like CX, AF, BA, etc..........but I heard they will implement that also soon into their website.

4. thesterlingtraveler

Status Points:
    I would think that it would be the same way. For example, JFK-CDG (AF) then CDG-LHR-JFK (BA).

5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll be able to redeem OW awards on most partners, and on partners that require RT travel (i.e., DL,) you can redeem OW on DL, and OW on another carrier, but it has to be a RT ticket (or you'll be charged RT mileage if you want, i.e., a OW on DL).

bobsgt likes this.
  6. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    That addition just made it so much easier for those of us in Western Canada to get cheap travel to Europe in the off-season. OW AA out of Calgary seems to be readily available online to Madrid & Paris next winter, and at only 20,000 in coach each way. And the fact I don't even have to call some customer service line to do some weird routing to get out of Alberta is a big plus. Almost makes putting up with Alaska's canadian credit card worth it.

7. thesterlingtraveler

Status Points:
    Good point, Debral!

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    So far we know that (1) most partners are now offered as one way (Korean isn't), (2) most partners are one-way at half the cost of roundtrip (Delta is full roundtrip cost, but you can fly Delta one way and another airline the other for roundtrip price), and (3) most partners are bookable online (but not all, eg Cathay and Korean aren't).

Alaska has made really really good progress on this!

At the same time they have dropped the ability to book partner awards > 331 days from travel. You used to be able to book Qantas, say, 345 days out and then call back to add any Alaska segments you needed once Alaska loaded its own schedule at the 331 day mark. Now you have to wait until 331 days to book Qantas. :(

dgreen12 and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm now on a drive to accumulate AS miles to redeem on EK - Shark family saw pics of the F cabin from my TPE misfile flights this spring and now want to experience it. I see one-ways are indeed available from US-Asia on EK/EK or AS/EK/EK, but all are in Y or J. Any experience with F redemption availability?

Sidenote: thanks to crediting some of the misfile sectors to AS, it's conceivable I can reach AS MVP this year. Not sure how useful it will be, but amusing nonetheless.

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Useful on Delta for seat choice. :)

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

11. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I looked at the possibility today of redeeming AS miles to fly Male to JFK (through Dubai on EK). However, despite having a Male-Dubai flight, the system kept routing me through Colombo, therefore making the redemption 90k miles for first class. I was hoping that Male would be considered "Middle East/India" and therefore 75k on way in first.

Any thoughts?

Edit* upon further review, I jumped on here to quickly. Other days gave me the Male - Dubai flight and I went back and looked over the award chart. 90k it is for first...