As if the increase from 90K-110K for N Asia weren't bad enough

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by mileagejunqe, Apr 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. mileagejunqe

mileagejunqe Silver Member

Status Points:
    The icing on the increase in miles from 90-110K

Haven't seen ANY discussion of this. No more routing thru Europe-Asia. You used to be able to route from the US to Asia via Europe. Here is the info from the US Air website:

Certain itineraries are subject to mileage restrictions. Travel from North America to Europe is not allowed via Asia, and travel between Europe and Japan/North Asia/South Asia/Australia/New Zealand is not permitted via North America.

2. FlyerChrisK

FlyerChrisK Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I understand they want to tighten the routing rules, it seems a bit weird to not allow you to travel between two cities AA serves entirely on AA metal (LHR-ORD-NRT, for example).

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why?

I don't know of any carrier running region-based awards which would allow that routing as a single trip. The connecting version is 70% longer - over 10,000 miles compared to less than 6,000 for the nonstop. http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=lhr-nrt;lhr-ord-nrt

And AA has always had rather restrictive routing rules other than on the Explorer awards which are now gone.

4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    That rule has been around for years and years. Read it again.

"Travel from North America to Europe is not allowed via Asia" is not the same as saying "Travel from North America to Asia is not allowed via Europe". The way to understand this to read it as what is allowed to be transited en route to or from your destination. The rule is saying "You can't transit Asia with a North America origin if Europe is your destination". It is NOT saying "You can't transit Europe with a North America origin if Asia is your destination".

In other words:

SEA-NRT(stop)-LHR(stop)-SEA? Not allowed, if you look on a map, LHR is the destination (Europe, farthest/turnaround point from SEA), NRT is the stopover. Since Asia cannot be transited to a European destination, this itinerary is not allowed by rule.

SEA-HKG(stop)-LHR(stop)-SEA? Allowed, HKG is the destination, LHR is the stopover.

For most of the United States, Asia is farther away than Europe, so except for situations like SEA-NRT, this won't be a problem.

rookie10 likes this.
  5. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, any opinion which FF program is best(if not dependent on a specific) airline?

AA- no stopover
    BA-fuel surcharges, reduced FF miles on economy fares.
    DL - 60,000 one way and 60,000 RT in coach minimum but rarely available from west coast USA to Europe
    UA - quite consistent from past program.

I fly all of the above........think AA & UA are preferable. DL is difficult to get the minimum award seats in coach or business. BA is so expensive the FF program is almost negative if used internationally.

6. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:

If you go SEA-HKG....would this be on Cathay Pacific?
    AA has low taxes on CP flights.
    Then SEA-HKG-LHR.....LHR would be high taxes going through London.

Did you quote this? Doesn't seem doable or cost effective due to UK taxes.

7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Can I take "none of the above"? Because you missed US (RTW routings allowed) and AS (free stopover on ONE-way redemptions, access to EK) in your list.

Also: UA's partner redemptions are now :rolleyes:. AA has very ugly rules regarding transiting third regions and requiring published fares that are considerably worse now that the Explorer award is gone.

Finally: BA is quite good at some things, like shorthaul flights in Y that would be pretty expensive on a cash basis, but actually quite cheap in Avios.

Nobody is being charged YQ on BA redemptions on US yet, according to posts on FT. Act now, supplies may be limited.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  8. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't add all of the airlines possible only the on'e I knew to date.

As for BA reedemtpions locally....my post was intended for international.

9. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You asked for an opinion, I have one. Each of the programs you listed has good points and bad points, even DL. I'm based in SEA so choosing AS is pretty easy for me, but I am willing to fly anyone (even NK) if the price is right. I tend to use cost and schedule over whether or not a particular flight gets me closer to Krug and showers on my next longhaul plane ride.

Might want to check out using BA Avios on CX, IB and EI (or AA on non-TATL routes) before entirely rejecting them out of hand international.

10. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm also Seattle......maybe we can watch out for each other on good deals?

I did a comparison of using BA Avios to HKG on CP....almost $350.00 in fuel surcharge taxes.
    But using Advantage points to HKG on CP was about $33(unconfirmed) by AA rep.

I don't have AA points even out of Seattle as when I fly I travel internationally and that's what deals I wish to find using the programs I mentioned. I find BA the most complex on good deals the DL.........
    In fact I cannot get a SEA_AMS non-stop 331 days out on DL on 60,000 FF reward coach seat.

11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The taxes are about right, I think CX YQ is $150ish longhaul, $50 shorthaul (per segment). Not as bad as BA. Incidentally, go check out IB and EI YQ. Even better.

12. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok, it's a bit hard to translate since you are more davy with airport codes and class fares than me.

1. IB - Ibrerian Airline - AA into Madrid/Barcelona/Brussels in good on AA with no surcharges. Taxes are a bit higher than if you can route on AA direct.
    2. EL - AIr Lingus
    Heard the routing through Rio to Ireland was only 60,000 AVios points but you needed a $160 VISA from Brazil.

Can you give me more specifics on routing, costs on Iberia and Air Linguss departing from Seattle?

13. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are these ugly rules AA has as all I know about is the no stopover change.

14. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Neither airline flies out of Seattle. For that matter, CX doesn't either.

15. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA is better than BA on "non-TATL" flights for cost and points.
    BA is only good intra-Europe and intra-US IMOH.

16. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I can make it more explanatory:When based out of Seattle and you advise Ibreia and Air Lingus airlines where are you suggesting to travel, on which airline, how many FF points, and cost?

I don't understand what route or situation you are referring too as when I answered where Iberia went in Europe and suggest American Air using Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong was better than using BA AVios points you didn't seem to respond.

17. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just because one lives in Seattle does not mean one's award flights always originate or end in Seattle. I've used Avios to fly JFK-YVR (in CX F, no less), YUL-LGA, and BKK-HKG, for instance.

Whether or not you find BA Avios useful is up to you, of course. (One thing to note: BA award flights have no YQ on AS.)

18. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    When redeeming FF awards whether on BA or BA you can use One World partners who fly you to these cities to connect on Iberia or Air Lingus. Many different routes and connecting cities so was hoping you could provide specific examples.

19. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:

Tiring. Five times I ask for specifics instead of generalities,

I'll try to go first:
    1. AA 40,000 FF award : Off-season Seattle-NY- Paris. Direct flight on AA. $61-$94 taxes
    2. AA 40,000 FF award: off-season Seattle-NY-Brussels. AA to JFK and Iberia to Brussels.
    3. AA 40,000 FF award: off-season Seattle-NY-Madrid. AA to JFK and Iberia to Madrid.
    4. AA 40,000 FF award: off-season Seattle-NY-Brussels. AA to JFK and Iberia to Barcelona.

5. AA 40,000 FF award: off-season Seattle-LA-Hong Kong. Alaska to LAX and Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong. AA rep stated $33 RT taxes.

I agree BA on domestic flights in Europe and US is good and no taxes but hell going over Atlantic or going through London due to UK taxes.

20. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Here, let's see if this is helpful:

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatat...flights-bookable-using-british-airways-avios/

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatat...wide-open-using-british-airways-avios-points/

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatat...travel-on-air-berlin-without-fuel-surcharges/

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatat...for-travel-on-iberia-without-fuel-surcharges/

None fly longhaul out of SEA, but were you to get 100,000 Avios in a BA Chase credit card offer, I bet you could use them in conjunction with AS to make some interesting redemptions (hint: SEA-LAX is 7500 Avios in Y+$2.50, SEA-ORD is 10,000 Avios+$2.50). Cheers.

21. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm lost.
    I asks specific question and get a response that's accurate but not what I asked.

22. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OK. A couple of examples.

BA Avios redemption: SEA-BOS on AS in Y: 12,500 Avios + $2.50
    BA Avios redemption: BOS-DUB on EI (Aer Lingus) in Y: 12,500 Avios + minimal fuel surcharges.

Note that since these are separate tickets, you can have a "stopover" in Boston for as long as you would like.

If this routing was SEA-ORD-DUB you would pay (10,000+$2.50) + (20,000+minimal fuel surcharges).

Keep in mind that BA allows family accounts. This is very useful for kids or other family members who might not fly often- you can pool small amounts of miles from them together and use them for one award.

Anyways, I'll let you work the rest of it out... though it has ****-all to do with US's rules on Europe stopovers on North America->Asia awards, I must say.

iolaire likes this.
  23. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:

Well, this again is a domestic issue which is not what I addressed.
    And, the SEA-ORD-DUB is minimal fuel surcharge? What is minimal to you?

You specifically mentioned Iberia and Air Lingus but only have vague examples while I was detailed.

I'm sure your experience using is superior to mine so still need more help fi you have time.

Thank you.

24. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    DUB is Dublin, Ireland. Across the Atlantic. Do you not consider traveling to Ireland from Seattle with a stopover in Boston or Chicago transatlantic travel?

The fuel surcharge is actually detailed at the link:

Aer Lingus $27 in fuel surcharges

I don't think I can be much help at this point. This is way offtopic for a thread in the US forum, and links to what I find to be quite helpful and informative websites (to people who to be honest understand things better than I do) don't seem to be very helpful to you, so I think this seems to be wasting our time. Sorry if this information seems to be overwhelming or confusing.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    euromannn likes this.
  25. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok, after 4 posts:
    SEA-BOS-DUB-SEA = 50,000 AVios points plus $29.50 taxes.
    Great tip.

Thank you.

eponymous_coward likes this.