AS Elite Status @DL

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    How does it translate, i.e.,
    MVP =
    MVPG=
    MVPG75K=

I made a DL reservation recently and put my AS MP# in, and I thought I saw the original screen say I was Platinum. But when the confirmation came through, it only had my MP# w/no status. I checked w/DL directly, which said their reservation shows me as MVPG.

2. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Basically:

MVP=MVP on DL BP and Gold during the booking process I believe
    MVPG= MVPG on DL BP and Platinum during the booking process
    MVPG75K= MVPG on DL BP and Platinum during the booking process

For upgrades, we are all behind Delta Silvers...

3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Probably a good thing I bought the "A" fare.

4. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    :p I am batting 1/6 for upgrades on DL this year :eek: The reason I got 1 upgrade was because I was on IRROPs, which means I got rebooked into Y and that propelled me up to the top of the upgrade list.

5. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think there's sport in watching your place in the upgrade list go from 3 to 6 to 11 to 26 and lower. [​IMG]

6. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think the sport is wondering how you are going to shove your carry on in the overhead bin as you wait to board hoping for that upgrade as your # on the list keeps sinking.

7. intueri
    Original Member

intueri Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's really a shame how upgrades were integrated between the partners. I've heard very few positive things from the perspective of AS elites, which has caused me to stay with DL SM even though AS has almost all the route coverage I need. (Well, and I'm 3/3 for upgrades on AS as a DL Plat, so there would seem to be little point to switch.)

8. giggs
    Original Member

giggs Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only downside to earning points on Delta is their intrinsic value is much lower.

Golfingboy likes this.
  9. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree and AS takes care of their elites better than DL IMO... YMMV...

10. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    But as MVPG, one has priority boarding, so you're in group one, so that's not so much of an issue.

11. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not if you are waiting for a last minute upgrade - that was my point. If you are already past the point of 3 seats open and you are now #21, that is another story.

12. intueri
    Original Member

intueri Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I agree with this, the candy-like rate at which Delta dispenses miles to me more than compensates, in my experience. I basically paid for a BE trip to Europe by ordering special meals, being "disappointed" at not receiving them (I was, in fact, disappointed), and then receiving CR bonus miles.

jackal likes this.
  13. Denali Flyer
    Original Member

Denali Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The best benefit that Delta offers AS MVPGs is access to its Sky Priority service, which includes faster check-in, elite lanes through security at most airports, zone 1 boarding priority and expedited baggage service (which actually seems to workmost of the time!). Yeah, there's alot of excitement about upgrade potential but don't forget that the combined DL/NW is a massive operation with literally millions more Silvers, Golds and Platinums that AS has of all tiers combined. As was pointed out earlier, we stand behind Delta Silvers in upgrade status which means almost no chance of an upgrade during normal hours, especially into hub cities. I think I heard of an AS elite getting an upgrade mid-afternoon on a Saturday between Jacksonville and Atlanta when Florida was playing Georgia at the "World's Largest Cocktail Party"..

14. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think we are mixed in based on fare class. I beat a silver for my first official reciprocal upgrade. Normally I am on T fares and regional jets so effectively the results are the same. :)

kayet likes this.
  15. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's a report over on the Delta board that a DL elite finally got free bags on AS (via the AS website checkin) today.

Boy, that was a long wait for them (assuming it's now fully automated).

16. AKGUY
    Original Member

AKGUY Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, if you board and they then call your name in the boarding area, you lose? [​IMG]Unlike AS, where they come back into the main cabin and invite you to move up?[​IMG]

17. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remembered reading on the FT DL forums that as soon as you board you are dropped from the upgrade list. I tried it on one of my flights and it worked. Moved from #8 on the upgrade list to #2 and grabbed an upgrade. DL Employee grabbed the last remaining one. I said i guess it does work and the DL rep confirmed what was mentioned on FT. There was no calling of names.