As a devotee of good hotels...

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by RichardInSF, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...I'm happy to be the first to post here.

There are many people who say that a hotel is just to sleep in, so it doesn't matter whether it's good or bad, it's just a bed.

That isn't me! A bad hotel can break an entire trip for me, I really like nice places. In fact, many of the hotels I stay in are a lot nicer than the house I live in.

But I am also a value hunter, so I like a great hotel at a fair price. If anyone's got tips on best value luxury hotels, I'd love to hear about them!

Dick

Where2next?, TheBilou and RicGarrido like this.
  2. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if this the place.

I would like to see a 'icon rating or small amenities symbols you can add to the post. Along the lines such as: Pool, Golf, Airport Shuttle, Express check in and out, and many more. Sort of a FAQ but of symbols. It would give an idea of value and able to compare the hotels. As to what hotel does and does not have. :)

3. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
  4. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tommy777, Thanks!

5. RicGarrido
    Original Member

RicGarrido Silver Member

Status Points:
    Former Ritz-Carlton Lake Las Vegas closed last May. The hotel is reopening Feb 11 as Ravella at Lake Las Vegas and is a Dolce Hotel.

There are grand opening discounts of only $89 for Nevada residents.

Other guests can get a 30% discount on prevailing rates for Friday or Saturday nights through February 28 through this exclusive prepaid, nonrefundable reservation link. This happens to be my exclusive Twitter/Facebook code from a current social media campaign the hotel offers, but I think it is the lowest rate available.
    Disclosure: if 10 people book through this link I get a free night at Ravella lake Las Vegas.

I thought the former Ritz-Carlton Lake Las Vegas in Henderson was a wonderful Vegas hotel with a very different ambience from the Las Vegas Strip hotels 15 miles to the west. I look forward to seeing Ravella on my next trip to Las Vegas.

6. RichardInSF
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if the Ravella is a luxury hotel now. Maybe the physical plant is, but luxury hotels are all about service and excellent service isn't cheap.

I have stayed at what used to be a Hyatt at Lake Las Vegas. It's true that it is a very different ambiance from the strip but I felt that it wasn't a very interesting one. Still, that way a long time ago and things might have changed.

7. TheBilou
    Original Member

TheBilou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Love luxury hotels as well! Looking forward to reading this thread....

8. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm checking into the newly re-opened Four Seasons London this afternoon. Does that count? [​IMG]

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    While Dolce is more of a conference center hotel management company, they do manage some very nice upscale hotels. I agree on the physical plant comments relative to Ritz Las Vegas. I think Dolce can do a fair job running an upscale hotel there. My only concern is the location. With Vegas traffic, it can be a bit of a hike from the strip.

10. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Curious if people think of W as a true luxury hotel brand. I for one think the ones which I have stayed have been quite nice (even luxurious). A bunch of folks are headed to London to meet up over President's Day weekend, which just happens to coincide with the opening of the new W London that week. I am really looking forward to staying there. I'll let you know if I think it qualifies for luxury hotel status. From the pics I've seen, I definitely looks like it will.

11. Jasper2009
    Original Member

Jasper2009 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Generally booking through a Virtuoso/AMEX FHR/Signature travel agent provides pretty good value: rate identical or lower than BAR and includes amenities like breakfast, welcome gift, F&B credit etc.

It depends on your definition of "luxury", but if you don´t mind including the better Inetercontinental/hyatt/Fairmont hotels, there certainly are some ood deals to be had if you stay there regularly/earn status, e.g.:

IC Royal Ambassadors are often upgraded to Club rooms or suites, comp. minibar, welcome gift etc.

Hyatt Diamonds get confirmed suite upgrade certs

FairmontFairmont Premier/Platinum members (it´s quite easy to get status) get confirmed suite upgrade certs which can be used on pretty much any rate and provide great value

12. Blumie
    Original Member

Blumie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at one of the Ws in NYC and one of the Ws in New Orleans and would opine that they definitely are not luxury hotels. Rather, they occupy that space of hotel chains -- Hyatt, Omni, Renaissance, Marriott, Westin -- that pretend they are luxury hotels but really don't deliver. And while I recognize that this must sound incredibly snobby, like the OP I value value, not just luxury. And because of this, in most cases, if there's no Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton or the like to stay in (or to stay in at affordable rates), then I almost always rather go to an inexpensive hotel, or an independent hotel, rather than one of these faux luxury chains. (BTW, I recognize that some people might categorize Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons as faux luxury, but that truly is just being snobby, IMHO!)

oklAAhoma and gemac like this.
  13. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    I realize that "comfortable" is subjective, but I hate the beds at W Hotels. At least a few of the W Hotels have the make-up to be trendy luxury hotels, but I just can't get over the bed. Why couldn't they put the heavenly bed (or even the sweet sleeper)? I just don't understand.

If you can get past the beds, the newly opened W Santiago is fantastic. All W Hotels are supposed to integrate into their local community to make it a happening place, but IMO few succeed. The W Santiago surpassed all of my expectations (except the aforementioned bed) - definately worth a visit if you're into the hip, trendy vibe.

14. RichardInSF
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, love to see a review -- should be in its own thread even!

15. RichardInSF
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not ever stayed at a W, but the few I've checked out featured tiny rooms filled with a lot of throw pillows that mainly cluttered the room up. Also the turtlenecked staff focussed more on acting arrogant than providing service, although that could be mainly a NYC phenomenon.

I would also add that the Hyatt attempt to copy W, the Andaz hotels, also fail; they are definitely not luxury hotels either.

16. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm significantly more impressed with my Andaz stays than any W stays I've had. The W properties have a bunch of low-function, high-form items in the room. They look pretty, but don't make it a good environment for business travel. Andaz has some of this, but the rooms are a lot more functional for my needs.

17. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I don't think neither the W or the Andaz brand can be called Luxury brands

18. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will do a review after I check out. So far I'm not totally happy as the hotel isn't really ready yet. But still much of it is super nice.

19. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    The ritz in las vegas was badly managed and not not much better than the loews beside it.[​IMG]

20. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some fairmont hotels can be in the luxury realm.

21. RichardInSF
    Original Member

Status Points:
    None that I've been to! Same is true for Loew's hotels, none of them are luxury hotels either.

22. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the gold level- yes.

23. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have only stayed at one Andaz, and it was OK, but nothing memorable.

W- I really don't like at all- the attitude received sometimes from the staff is unbelievable. I did get a very nice upgrade at the W Chicago on one occassion, but this was due to SPG (I think?). W rooms, as others have noted, can also be really poor. A hotel without a true conceirge cannot be considered luxury in my opinion.

24. SocialAdept
    Original Member

SocialAdept Silver Member

Status Points:
    I generally go by the distinction that all luxury hotels are 5* star, but not all 5* are luxury hotels. Some people draw the line very hard at 5* as being luxury and as a rule call 5*s that not truly fit the luxury bills as dressed up 4*s.

I don't agree with that, I've stayed in some 5* that I couldn't think of as a 4* but at the same time have some way to go to become truly luxury. Speaking of W the W Barcelona would be a good example of this in my mind.

25. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stars mean nothing. Up until only very recently, there were no 5 star hotels in Paris because the official rating system in France only went up to 4 stars. Most other countries do not even have an official rating system.