Article re loyalty programs

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Oct 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. gaijin62

gaijin62 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is an interesting article, nice for a blog post, but short on details and specifics.

Since I, and fellow MPers, follow mileage programs fairly closely it's easy to understand what Professor Pfeffer is discussing. However for the average reader citing examples of what benefits were reduced, changes in mileage requirements for awards, etc, would make his arguments and this article far more compelling.

Just sayin'.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it is a terrible article.

The author states:

"Airline mileage programs are designed to be psychologically attractive, even addictive, to customers. But as their benefits have decreased, so too has passenger loyalty."

Where is the evidence for the loss of loyalty as a result of the recent changes? Sure, if you look at FT or MP and read select posts from folks like me (who happened to be liberated from excessive loyalty by reach MM status on UA about a year ago), that might be the conclusion you come to.

gaijin62 and Counsellor like this.
  4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking that that folks who would have statistical proof (one way or the other) would be the airlines, and they may not be willing to disclose those stats. Which leaves us with having to rely on anecdotal evidence.

I do know a number of "often-flyers" (to distinguish them from the sort of frequent flyers like us who are seriously "into" the FF programs) who tended to stick with one airline for benefits like baggage, occasional upgrades, and the like, who are now saying that because those benefits have become less reliable or harder to come by they just select the least expensive or most convenient flights rather than "working" their schedules to fly one specific airline.

I don't know that they are necessarily representative, but individually there has been such a shift.

HaveMilesWillTravel and gaijin62 like this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised that an academic doesn't start by carefully defining loyalty.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not necessarily disputing that there has been a shift away from loyalty. But it's presented as a fact, not something observed by talking to friends or colleagues. I would expect a professor to be more "scientific".

The major changes in loyalty program rules have happened only fairly recently. I'd bet (but have no proof) that a lot of the tens of millions of members that Delta and UA have in their programs either don't know about the changes, haven't really figured out what they mean, or don't really care.

7. dream7
    Original Member

dream7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  8. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you put three academics in a room with a problem (real or imagined) and provide them with unlimited funding (and food) they will emerge with four totally different and conflicting solutions and demand that they all be implemented immediately!