Article on Merger in Cleveland-Plain Dealer: 1000 questions, but no sticky notes....

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by VVanderlust, Jun 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. VVanderlust

VVanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. Ktremor

Ktremor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am glad that they figured that Fido will go into the plane backwards instead of forward, that was at the top of my list.:p

I will have write a letter with my displeasure that I will not be able to take my tandem bike on the plane anymore.:p

Talk about having their priorities in order.....

3. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone who's done business process work knows how much of a headache the minutiae can become if not handled early. It's easier to set the rules than it is to go back and try to change them later.

4. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Channel 9 going into CO aircraft? This is HUGE news.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And until I actually see someone from CO stating it publicly it is news I'm somewhat disinclined to believe. Call me a cynic, I suppose.

sdm1130 likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just asked my neighbor's dog and she is outraged and will never fly CO again as she definitely prefers the "face into the hole" approach. No really, that's what she barked at me.

Me, too. I find it hard to believe that they would spend money on this enhancement (and for the record, I mostly fly UA and like Ch.9, though I somehow do survive flights where it's not available).

7. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who knew...;)

8. VVanderlust

VVanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree! My experience with Ch. 9 on the flights I have flown over the past several months has been less than 40%:mad:. It is my go to when the announcement is made to turn off ALL electronics with an on/off switch (really? even my kindle?) for take-off.

9. u600213
    Original Member

u600213 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my version of G&T it should be 1/4 or 1/3 of a lime :)

10. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    What a relief, there's no maximum amount of bowling balls in checked bags anymore.

goalie likes this.
  11. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I talked to a CO nonrev on a flight this week, wasn't able to get any information out of him that I haven't seen stated or rumored elsewhere. However, he was emphatic that CO was going to add ch 9. He also stated that he really liked ch 9 from flying UA and he and his colleagues were excited by the news.

12. corster
    Original Member

corster Silver Member

Status Points:
    My understanding originally was that they would keep Channel Nine on UA birds, but were not planning to add it to CO birds because it requires a recertification of the IFE system... but if they're planning to add wifi (which I believe they announced), they probably have to go through the recertification process anyways. Makes sense to add Channel 9 at the same time.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes and no.

My understanding is that the internet connectivity system will be a separate "box" from the IFE kit so even though they are from the same vendor they are different components and not tied to one another. This means that the WiFi hardware certification wouldn't matter much relative to changing out all the TV gear, too.

So there is another STC that needs to happen but it is not clear how that would work with the two pieces described.

14. corster
    Original Member

corster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, that may very well be the case. My understanding (albeit, limited) was that the WiFi is integrated into the Livetv system, but it's very possible i'm completely wrong on that.

15. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The internet forums that the author references in the piece = Milepoint. She's registered here and went through all of the threads on various changes (links I shared with her) and then got additional detail from Scott O. mostly.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    LiveTV is the company (wholly owned subsidiary of JetBlue) that is providing the services. There are separate antennae required for the TV and internet bits as they are on different satellites and the two can be implemented independently of each other as I understand it.