Arrrrgh! YEG-IST (sort of)

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by YULtide, May 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just went to book YEG-IST, and was offered $2700 per person (2 of us travelling together) for a Flex fare. Worked out that we could fly YEG-ZRH for $1500 each and then ZRH-IST on TK for $700 for two. Much better deal. So I booked the TK flights and then backtracked to AC to get the initial outbound flight. Just as I was completing the transaction, I got an an error message that said there was an issue with the fare and I should call. I called and was talked through the booking again. Now the YEG-ZRH bit was showing up as $1900 each. How lovely.

Still cheaper than the AC itinerary to IST, but $400 more than 15 minutes earlier. It seems that in some other timezone (EDT) the clock ticked past midnight and the fares got changed. :mad:

Then of course, I had to put in my personal information because we would be flying through the US. That's the part of the US that's between YEG and ZRH. Guam, I suppose. :eek:

Bottom line: don't book near midnight Eastern time or you can get burned for a few hundred bucks.

2. Their fare changes happen in a millisecond sometimes. I find itvery frustrating when booking more than one tin or multiple seats

3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, once they've held a seat for you at a price, they should let the transaction go through whatever else is happening. They give you ten minutes to complete the transaction. The least they could do is let you complete it. Imagine if you went to a grocery store and they rang through all your items then cancelled the transaction as you were paying just so they could charge you more.

4. I don't think they change fares once you have a quote prior to paying. I've never seen that. If their system goes down you could call in and I believe they will honour the fare quoted.

5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's exactly what happened to me. I had a booking with seats held for me, and a price quoted. I put in my credit card information to pay and got the error message telling me to call. I called and the story I got was that the price went up because the clock ticked past midnight Eastern. There was no thought of honouring the original fare quote. It all happened between the time I clicked Book and the time I clicked Pay.

6. Wow!! I think that is complete BS on their part. How much was the difference?

YULtide likes this.
  7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    $400. Each.

guinnessxyz likes this.
  8. that's brutal!!